FORUMS: list search recent posts

problems dealing with avchd

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
juna suleiman
problems dealing with avchd
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:02:47 pm

Hi,
I wish someone could give me advice as soon as possible with the following Dilemma:
I have been filming for two years, on Panasonic HMC 40 (Avchd), now I have 500GB materials that I need to begin editing. this is a feature documentary film and more materials will be taken. when beginning to work on FCP 7 I encountered the following problems:
1) While using LOG & TRansfer to convert to mov. (Prores 442) the files became very large and will demand many Hard desks to work with

2) some of the clips where not recognized and therefore did not convert, those are clips I will probably need to use in the final product

IF ANYONE ENCOUNTERED A SIMILAR PROBLEM OR KNOWS WHATS BEST TO DO IN THAT CASE, IF TO USE FCP AT ALL OR DITCH IT FOR THE SAKE OF A FRIENDLIER PROGRAM.... I NEED SUGGESTIONS, I AM PRESSURED WITH TIME

sorry for sounding that desperate
J.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: problems dealing with avchd
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:09:01 pm

[juna suleiman] "1) While using LOG & TRansfer to convert to mov. (Prores 442) the files became very large and will demand many Hard desks to work with"

Yes, you will. Or, you can try the offline/online workflow, although with AVCHD it's tricky due to the fact that the naming convention, "Clip #1, Clip #2..." starts over with every card you use. So you will have multiple CLIP #1's. But, if you rename them, And make sure that the backup folder has a unique name to be used as the REEL number, it might work. I have tips on that here:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

You can also L&T to ProREs LT...that will take up less space. But if you want to keep things simple...get larger or multiple hard drives. The files will be bigger, such is life.

[juna suleiman] "2) some of the clips where not recognized and therefore did not convert, those are clips I will probably need to use in the final product"

Yeah...FCP and AVCHD can butt heads. For those, look at the app CLIPWRAP 2 from DivergentMedia.com. It's amazing. If you use that, you can't do the offline/online workflow however. For that workflow, you must use L&T.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

juna suleiman
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:20:53 pm

Hi,
First thank you so much for such a quick response.
What I have are many cards I put in folders according to months and dates so I began converting into a similar work order.
Yet, I do not have enough budget to get all those harddesks and back them up, so I was wondering, if I use the option prores "proxy" and work offline, then work online- include all the clips which were not added and will be by using clipwrap 2- won't that create a problem later for the online work?

also if you know the difference between sizes of prores 422, LT and proxy?

Last but not least, are other programs such as Avid or premier more recommended in my case?

I appreciate your help a lot
J.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:45:08 pm

[juna suleiman] "What I have are many cards I put in folders according to months and dates so I began converting into a similar work order."

GOOD! Now those are your archive drives...separate from your media drives. In case you didn't know that.

[juna suleiman] "Yet, I do not have enough budget to get all those harddesks and back them up"

Yeeesh! Well...gotta figure that out. At least get bare SATA drives and a USB/Firewire drive dock. That'll make them cheaper.

[juna suleiman] " I was wondering, if I use the option prores "proxy" and work offline, then work online- include all the clips which were not added and will be by using clipwrap 2- won't that create a problem later for the online work?"

Yes, it would. It would be a biggish headache. If you color coded those so that you worked with them at full res, and then all the other stuff you could encode as Proxy, or even lower (Offline RT HD) quality...then you could separate them out when it came time to online.

[juna suleiman] "
also if you know the difference between sizes of prores 422, LT and proxy?"

Proxy is about half the size of LT.

[juna suleiman] "Last but not least, are other programs such as Avid or premier more recommended in my case?"

Yes. Premiere will allow you to work with the files in the native resolution...no offline encoding needed. But I would recommend that you NOT edit from the masters...copy them first to a media drive, so you have a separate media drive and backup drive. But you can work with the smaller, native resolution files.

And yes, Avid has amazing media database capabilities and you can AMA the footage in, encode to DNxHD36, or smaller, and then relink later and transcode to higher res.

Just depends on what NLE you are most comfortable with. But if you lack the budget for hard drives, you will be hard pressed to buy another NLE. Adobe has the Creative Cloud though...you can rent it on a monthly basis.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

juna suleiman
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:47:03 am

Got it.
Thank you very much. helpful info.
J.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>