FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing footage shot on canon 5d

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
importing footage shot on canon 5d
on Feb 6, 2013 at 9:51:45 pm

hi, i am importing footage shot on Canon 5d.

The format of my footage is:
H.264, 1920 x 1080, Millions
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
23.98 FPS

I thought FCP 7 would autumatically pick the right sequence settings for me when i drop the clips into the timeline. But instead i get the red bar and have to render every clip as i drop it into the timeline. I noticed that the quality of the footage looks bad on some clips after dropping them into the timeline. This has me concerned for I want to preserve the full picture quality of the footage, it's a professional work, i can't sacrifice the image quality at all. The sound however, is unimportant. It's a music video so the footage sound will be eventually eliminated.

Any advice on using FCP 7 on Cnon 5d footage would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: importing footage shot on canon 5d
on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:04:19 pm

You can't use h.264 on the timeline. Convert it to prores using mpeg streamclip

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:10:28 pm

Or use Log and Transfer, after installing the EOS Log and Transfer plugin:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shravan Tiwari
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:29:22 pm

Hi,

Would like to know from you that, why 24P shot in canon DSLR is 23.98 in FCP7.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:16:12 pm

[Shravan Tiwari] "Would like to know from you that, why 24P shot in canon DSLR is 23.98 in FCP7."

24P from the Canon DSLR in ANY editing application is 23.98. Video that is 24p is 23.98. It is rare to have 24p video be 24fps straight up. That's the realm of film. NTSC video, 30fps, 24fps...runs slightly slower due to color information needs. (Look up 29.97 video in Wikipedia to read all about it.)

30fps is 29.97...24fps is 23.98.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:31:18 pm

i've already cut half the video without first converting. At this point perhaps i can finish editing it first. And then afterwards i can batch convert the h.264 files into apple prores on mpeg streamclip and then after that reconnect all my clips on the timeline to their respective prores clips.
As long as i keep the exact same file names it should be easy to reconnect. This sounds like it should be entirely possible to do. However, in practice maybe it isn't. I find FCP is not very good at reconnecting clips, i always have to reconnect them individually and that is very time consuming. Please let me know what you think about this approach, which is to finish the edit with the current settings and then reconnecting to the prores clips afterwards.

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:57:00 pm

You should really avoid any h264 editing at all in FCP. If I were you I would immediately start a batch transcode in Compressor to convert all h.264 files into prores 422 or prores LT (if drive space is a concern).
If you set Compressor to keep the original file name ("MVI_1234.mov" instead of "MVI_1234-ProRes422.mov") then you can reconnect all files no problem. Then just change the sequence settings in FCP to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:52:52 am

Keep editing, and when finished the editing, change the secuence codec by Prores and set "Render in YUV".
Then render or export the sequence.

[raju bhai] "As long as i keep the exact same file names it should be easy to reconnect. This sounds like it should be entirely possible to do. However, in practice maybe it isn't. I find FCP is not very good at reconnecting clips, i always have to reconnect them individually and that is very time consuming."
FC is very good at reconnecting when the media is supported and consistent.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:10:55 am

ok thanks!

i would much prefer to keep editing and not break my creative flow, and save the media conversion of all the clips in my timeline until the end. My only concern was that I keep editing and then find when i'm done that reconnecting creates more problems than it solves and then i end up having to edit my entire video from scratch again. But hopefully that won't happen.
So, just to make sure i understand how to do this, when i'm done editing, i will batch convert all my source clips to apple high quality prores. Then I will goto my timeline in FCP and reconnect all the clips, locating the folder in which all the prores files are at.
Should I change the sequence settings to match the prores codec before or after reconnecting to the prores format?
And will this order of things give me the best possible image quality? there should be no degradation of the video from the original Canon 5d footage.
please let me know
thanks in advance,
-raju

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Feb 7, 2013 at 5:19:45 pm

I'd recommend 5DtoRGB Batch in the App store, (Batch allows you to batch a bunch of footage. There is another version that does not batch). The latest version is 64bit and based on the AV Foundation so it is multi-processor aware. It also fixed the QT bugs I was having over shared storage. The EOS L&T plugin is hit or miss and causes issues for me such as bad frames and color shift.

I haven't tried MPEGStream Clip for EOS 5D footage, though I do have it. I'm pretty satisfied with 5DtoRGB. Also I have nothing to do with the company, I'm just a user.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]