FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF to FCP to iMovie clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morgan Smith
MXF to FCP to iMovie clips
on Feb 6, 2013 at 2:53:19 pm

Hi- I am trying to help some friends get their MXF files (shot on P2 Cards on a Panasonic HVX200) to a format that their client can edit on iMovie.

So far in FCP7 I used tapeless Log & Transfer the MXF files. Now my question is

- Do I export the files as self-contained or not self-contained for their client to eit with on iMovie?

- After exporting the files in a .mov format, I was told to put them on a DVD to give to their client. Each file, if self-contained, is going to be at least 10 GB each. Is that too big to put on DVDs?

What is the best approach I should take?

THANKS! (I am not a professional editor, clearly.)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: MXF to FCP to iMovie clips
on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:07:43 pm

Hi Morgan,
You don't need to export nothing.
When you run L&T the files are rewrapped as QT.
That what you have to give to the "clients".
However you won't be able to put much stuff on a single DVD.
Just for to 5 minutes if they have been shooting DVCPro100 and some 15/20 minutes if they have been shooting DV.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Morgan Smith
on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:30:46 pm

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right in abandoning the idea that these files will fit on a DVD- they will be much too big. I will lend my friends a hard drive of the files.

These files are for a non-profit video that a horse therapist wishes to edit on her own on iMovie. She does not own FCP. The therapist wasn't able to import the original MXF files into iMovie, so I am trying to convert them for her.

If I understand correctly, are you saying that now I have L&T the MXF files on my FCP7, those MXF files in the folder are now QT, and I don't need to export these newly-wrapped files from FCP for the therapist to access them?

I don't need to export each clip as a self-contained quicktime file one by one?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 6, 2013 at 4:29:24 pm

After you import them via L&T, you will have to convert the media to the Apple Intermediate Codec. iMovie won't be able to see nor access the DVCPRO HD codec they are shot in.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Morgan Smith
on Feb 6, 2013 at 8:47:07 pm

Thank you so much Shane!

Yes, I used a DVCPRO HD 720P24 codec, then I I exported the clips in quicktime, self-contained.

I have iMovie on my laptop in version 7.1.4 that I tested importing the clips into- they imported beautifully. I think the horse therapist should be able to use them too.

However, if I encounter any issues, I will definitely go back to the drawing board and use that iMovie-friendly AIC codec. Good to know.

Thanks for all your help

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 6, 2013 at 10:11:46 pm

I think when you import into iMovie it converts them to AIC...if you have iMovie on the same computer as FCP...as iMovie can read the DVCPRO HD files, and then convert them to what it needs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Morgan Smith
on Feb 11, 2013 at 5:47:32 pm

Sorry, but what happens if you view these files on iMovie11 and you don't have FCP? Can your iMovie not convert the files when FCP isn't installed somewhere?

That is what just happened to my friends who I converted the files for. They say they get audio, but not video.

I don't understand why the files went into my iMovie perfectly and not theirs.

I will convert them into AIC if that's the fix.

Return to posts index

white yufeng
on Feb 25, 2013 at 8:44:12 am

iMovie can't support to edit naitive MXF files. As far as I know there isn't a plugin to help us to import MXF to iMovie.

You'd better FCP 7 or FCP X to edit your MXF videos.

If not, you can transcode MXF to iMovie's native format AIC before ingesting.

Learn more:http://mxf-to-fcp.blogspot.com/2013/02/how-to-get-panasonic-ag-hvx200-p2-mxf.html

-----------------------------------------------

Camcorder Video Tips

Return to posts index

Kayla Wang
on Jul 26, 2013 at 8:30:15 am

iMovie doesn’t have native support for Panasonic P2 MXF Files, while looking for the best way to edit P2 MXF videos in iMovieon Mac, I find TransMXF for Mac help making the editing easy and smooth. The best format for importing into FCE is Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC), so you need to wrap P2 MXF footage to AIC for iMovie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]