FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conformed & Upsized Video Causing Timecode Change

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Conformed & Upsized Video Causing Timecode Change
on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:04:31 pm

Forgive me for posting a new subject on a recent previous one. But I did not hear from Rafael on a recent follow up question and not sure if he knows it is there.

I successfully Conformed and Upsized my C300 1280x720(60fps) footage to slow mo 1920x1080 (24) footage. It looks fantastic and thank you Rafael for the guidance!

However, I just discovered the new media clips have different time codes now than the original clips.

After conforming in Film Tools, the timecode is the same as the originals. But after then upsizing the Conformed clips in Compressor, the timecode slides about an hour off (time of day record).

Is this to be expected after the Compressor process? Is it normal and I just adjust to this artifact of the process? Or do I maybe have an incorrect setting in Compressor causing the timecode change?

Thank you!

Mark Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Conformed & Upsized Video Causing Timecode Change
on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:13:29 pm

You changed the frame rate...the timecode will change. A second is no longer a second.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:19:16 pm

Thanks, Shane. I assumed as much, when I Conformed in Film Tools. But the timecode did not change from the original after that step. It changed after Compressor. I did not realize Upsizing is changing frame rate. The logic seemed backwards to me.

Okay, at the end of the day, I expected time code to change, so I'll move on with it.

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:02:24 pm

OH, you mean the start timecode doesn't remain the same after Compressor? I know that Conforming will keep the start timecode, but it will lose any "real time" connection to the original clip. But Compressor should retain the new timecode.

Hmmmmm

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:12:38 pm

Forgive me for my layman terminology, but if by the "start timecode" you mean the embedded burnt code, then yes, that's what is changing.

I am treating the Conformed and Upsized clips as new sources to bring into FC. I am not attempting to maintain any original linking to the original clips. Those originals are now archived.

However, as a workflow, If I ever needed to refer back to the original QT's or even further back to the MXF files, I was hoping to maintain the matching integrity of the recorded timecodes.

Here's my situation (sample timecodes, not real)

MXF - 14:20:10:00
KiPro ProRes Record - 14:20:10:00
Film Tools Conform - 14:20:10:00
Compressor Upsize - 15:40:12:15

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:18:03 pm

Yes, that's what I meant. That the start timecode on the MXF file, and then the re-wrapped QT file, and the conformed clip would all match, should all match. But if you look at the conformed clip, at a frame later on...say halfway through the footage, the timecode there would be different than the source timecode...because you changed the frame rate. Once you conform, you lose most relatable timecode matching.

Now why it's shifting to hour 15 in Compressor...that's interesting. No clue why it's doing that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:38:42 pm

Okay, so at least I've confirmed the bottom line, that the timecodes will ultimately differ as the clip progresses into itself. It's nice to know the start timecode is the same. That would be enough for my desire to have a matching reference.

Maybe someone will know what that Compressor issue is and why it is monkeying with the timecode.

In the mean time, I can carry on. Thank you for your time!

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]