FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD to DVD studio Pro judder problems.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe carter
AVCHD to DVD studio Pro judder problems.
on Feb 3, 2013 at 3:58:57 pm

Hi All,

I use a Sony HXR- NX5 camera and have recently been working in on a job where im required to deliver the footage on a chaptered DVD.

I use FCP to log and transfer the AVCHD HD footage as apple pro res and after adding titles I then export as QT using current settings.

Then I use Compressor to make DVD files and burn the DVD using DVD studio pro.

In recent weeks it has come to my attention that the the end product is kind of juddery. Its not horrendous but doesn't look as good as it used to when i had a Standard def camera.

The apple pro res QT also plays the same but I put this down to my computer struggling with the size of the file which are usually 80GB or so.

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the bit rate but I can't find anyone else having similair problems. I've tried reinstalling FC Studio but it's just the same.

Any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVCHD to DVD studio Pro judder problems.
on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:25:14 pm

Go through that file frame by frame where it is stuttering. Does it show each frame, or is it showing repeated frames...stuttering?

80GB isn't that large of a file...not anymore. What computer do you have that will struggle with that?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

joe carter
on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:40:53 pm

Hi Shane,

I've just done what you said and I think you might have the answer to my prayers!

When the footage is first imported in FCP each frame is there, however once i've exported a current settings QT and re-import it to FCP it is repeating every second frame.....Why do you think this has happened?

Potentially your friend for life!

Joe

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:00:07 pm

Did you export as a Quicktime Movie, self contained, not recompressing? And NOT Quictime Conversion? Does the frame rate of the sequence match the frame rate of the footage? Look at that point in the timeline of the original, before you exported. Is the oddness there on the timeline, or only the exported QT file?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

joe carter
on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:07:21 pm

I did indeed export as QT movie, self contained and not recompressing and not QT conversion. The frame rate of the sequence does match the frame rate of the footage (25)
The oddness is not on the timeline as each frame is there, it only goes odd when I export it.

As I'm working in apple pro res 422 (HQ) I tried exporting a piece of video using export quicktime movie but instead of using 'current settings' i clicked on that drop down box and exported apple pro res 422 (HQ). The exported video plays fine with no repeating frames.

You have saved the day Shane as the video plays smooth as it should and I'm now able to work properly, however it is still a mystery to me....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:19:14 pm

[joe carter] " The frame rate of the sequence does match the frame rate of the footage (25)"

...and there's the problem. Both have to match. They also have to match the intended frame rate of the DVD. So you need to sort all that stuff out.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

joe carter
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:38:51 pm

Hi Shane, I think oyu must have mis-read as I said both Frame Rates DO match

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:56:29 pm

Dave said that, not I.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

joe carter
on Feb 7, 2013 at 9:57:29 am

Sorry Shane, My Mistake!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:56:47 pm

Yup, I did misread it. Sorry.

If the problem is actual judder, i.e. the annoying staccato appearance that manifests itself most often in horizontal motion, you could be stuck. Judder is more visible at lower frame rates.

Your footage is already at 25fps, about as low as it can get, and if you shot progressive scan... well, it's in the footage itself. You'd have to re-shoot. Or get used to the look of 25p.

Could progressive scan be the culprit?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

joe carter
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:02:45 am

Hi Dave,

I filmed in 1080 50i, the footage is fine, as already established with Shane, the problem is that when I export it as a QT with current settings the final film has repeated every second frame despite the sequence settings in FCP matching up with the raw footage.

It's a mystery but I have figured out that if instead of exporting current settings I export as Apple Pro REs 422 HQ (which it was originally anyway) it somehow tricks FCP to export all frames.

Its strange but I can work around it, I just don't understand why it's happening
Thanks!
Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]