FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Manager is not doing what I expect it to do

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Media Manager is not doing what I expect it to do
on Feb 3, 2013 at 12:30:12 pm

I've got a project for which the source video is a single 41 GB MXF file using the XDCAM HD422 codec which I've then subclipped (it's a movie). I've cut a 35-second promo for this movie and now I want to consolidate and archive the project to get back a big chunk of that 41 GB.

Problem is, when I right-click on the sequence and choose Media Manager, it doesn't indicate any reduction in file size for the modified project:

I've tried every combination of the options, and still nothing. The movie master clip does have a Reel number (Media Manager will show the same behaviour if you don't set a reel for each master clip).

Any ideas for getting round this will be gratefully appreciated...

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Media Manager is not doing what I expect it to do
on Feb 3, 2013 at 1:18:34 pm

It is acting normally. Subclips are just references to the big file. It doesn't actually cut it up into smaller clips.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Feb 3, 2013 at 3:31:27 pm

I think you may have misunderstood my point. I only mentioned the subclips in passing as background to my workflow. The key issue here is that I have a 35-second promo cut using a 2-hour movie (a single 41 GB source clip) and I want to use Media Manager to create a new project and copy over only the 35 seconds of media actually used in the sequence.

I suspect the problem is that the source clip is MXF rather than QuickTime. I'm rewrapping it as a QT now, so I can take the MXF offline and reconnect to the MOV and see if that makes any difference.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 3, 2013 at 10:04:54 pm

That's it. FCP can only media manage footage that is in an editing codec, or has a reel number. H264 footage FCP can't manage. MXF media accessed via Calibrated or Raylight also are problematic.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Feb 4, 2013 at 5:57:20 am

[Shane Ross] "FCP can only media manage footage that is in an editing codec, or has a reel number

My media satisfies both those criteria. As suspected, it turned out to be the fact that it was using an MXF wrapper. I just rewrapped the MXF as a QT, reconnected, and now Media Manager has done its stuff - 41 GB reduced down to 413 MB.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]