FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow Mo Rendering Canon C300 Footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Slow Mo Rendering Canon C300 Footage
on Feb 2, 2013 at 10:16:08 pm

I shot a commercial spot showcasing hair models with the Canon C300 at two different speeds.

23.98 /1920x1080 - For real time presentation
59.94 / 1280x720 - For slo mo presentation

I set my master timeline sequence to match the 23.98 clips, as they will dominate the spot.

I will change the speed of the 59.94 clips to say, 50% (will vary depending on ramping creative and particular shot)

My question is concerning preserving video integrity of the slo mo media related to timeline rendering impact.

Would you drop the 59.94 clips into the 23.98 master timeline and effect speed changes and render from there, or would you create a separate working timeline with settings to match the 59.94 clips, effect the speed changes there, output stand along QT's, and use those as new source files to insert into the master timeline?

Or for that matter, any other preferred recommendation if I am off base here all together.

Thanks!

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Slow Mo Rendering Canon C300 Footage
on Feb 3, 2013 at 4:26:08 am

Hi Mark,

When you put 59,94 fps stuff on a 23,98 fps sequence, first, frames are dropped (60% of the original frames), then your speed changes are applied.
So, that is not the best way to get a good slow motion from the 59,94 stuff.

You need to convert the 59,94 stuff to Prores, and then use CinemaTools to conform that footage to 23,98 fps.
You will get the footage slow down to a 40% speed and without any picture processing, so keeping the original quality.
Then you can use that footage on the 23,98 sequence and speed it up or slow it down further.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 3, 2013 at 7:22:23 am

Thank you, Rafael. This is the directional help I am looking for. Much appreciated.

I will need to find some local support with Cinema Tools, as I am not familiar, but now I have a direction to preserve that media quality.

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 3, 2013 at 9:04:01 am

[Mark Fanjoy] "I will need to find some local support with Cinema Tools, as I am not familiar, but now I have a direction to preserve that media quality."
CinemaTools is very easy to use.
You can not run it directly on your Canon footage because is an GOP format (MPEG_2), and CinemaTools only works on Intraframe stuff. This is why you need to convert first the clips to Prores.
Once you have the Prores files just open then in CinemaTools (Open Clip) and and click the "Conform" button; then select 23,98 fps.
That changes the time-base of the clip without further processing.
rafael

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 3, 2013 at 1:36:55 pm

Rafael, a couple of tutorials and I am now up to speed on Conforming in Cinema Tools. Thank you!

I ran across a forum string where Shane Ross said, I had to first use Cinema Tools to CONFORM the clip from 60p to 24p, THEN use Compressor to cross convert to 1080p. Two step process.

Should I also take this extra step to convert the conformed slow mo clips (still at their original 1280x720) to 1920x1080, which is the size of my other clips and the timeline?

Is this additional step just to avoid the need to render, or is it continuing to preserve quality?

Thanks again, really appreciate the support.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 3, 2013 at 2:27:36 pm

[Mark Fanjoy] "Should I also take this extra step to convert the conformed slow mo clips (still at their original 1280x720) to 1920x1080, which is the size of my other clips and the timeline?

Is this additional step just to avoid the need to render, or is it continuing to preserve quality?"

Compressor makes a better upscaling than FC, so you will get better quality resizing the 720p23,98 to 1080p23,98 by mean of compressor than just dropping it of FC's time-line and tetting FC doing the job.
You need to set "Frame Control: ON" and resize BEST.
rafael

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 3, 2013 at 9:21:01 pm

Rafael, I followed your directions and the footage looks dynamite!

Thank you VERY much! And thanks Creative Cow for being there and helping me look good for my clients!

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Feb 5, 2013 at 5:24:16 am

Rafael, if I may ask you another question on this subject.

I just discovered my Conformed and Upsized media clips have different time codes now than the original clips.

After conforming in Film Tools, the time code is the same. After upsizing in Compressor, the time code slides about an hour off (time of day record).

Is this to be expected after the Compressor process?

Mark Fanjoy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]