FORUMS: list search recent posts

Limits of the M&E track in documentary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Steele
Limits of the M&E track in documentary
on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:23:15 pm

Hi,

I have to deliver a digibeta tape of my documentary to an arabic speaking broadcaster. They obviously want 2 Music & Effect tracks for dubbing. Does an observational/direct sound scene (with dialogue) count as Effect ? Should I leave these in or out ?

What's common practice ?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Limits of the M&E track in documentary
on Feb 1, 2013 at 5:48:49 pm

Music and effects include only the music (obviously)...and effects like any sound effects you added and possibly sound on tape (b-roll audio) and generic background audio. Interview bites should NOT be included. Not interviews, VO, or b-roll sound ups where you focus on the audio of the b-roll...say a speech or someone being interviewed on camera. M&E is background stuff only.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Steele
on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:39:00 pm

Ok. Thanks !

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 2, 2013 at 3:13:27 am

Most common definition for a Doco M&E is actually mix minus narration. Because of the confusion between a drama M&E which has no dialog and a doco M&E that does have dialog and interviews but no narration, it is becoming more common to refer to it as a Mix minus not M&E.

Ask because a version without dialog and interviews will be utterly useless for most broadcasters. An alternative is to send music, FX and dialog stems. That way they can revoice whatever they want and use whatever original dialog & interviews as well as re-balance the music & FX under the new narration.

Of course it goes without saying that all dips for narration must be removed. This undipped M&E or Mix Minus is always required as new narration will not fit the dips of the English original.

Return to posts index

Richard Steele
on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:39:59 pm

Hey,

About my M&E track. Should the sound levels of my effects (or music) be identical to those in my general programme mix or should I bring everything up, say to around -18db, to give them more sound editing freedom ?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]