FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost FCP project file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike rakoff
Lost FCP project file
on Jan 31, 2013 at 3:20:45 am

Hello,

I have told a friend I would help polish a rough cut of her short film.

In order to make my life harder, her old editor lost the actual project file. All she has is the QuickTime H264 movie, and all of the unedited raw files themselves.

Is it possible to import the h264 into fcp and still make changes? Any suggestions how to go about finishing her film? She has asked to have it subtitled/colored/and have a few things trimmed.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lost FCP project file
on Jan 31, 2013 at 4:57:22 am

FCP 7 hates h.264, you will find only madness there...use the free mpeg streamclip utility , or quicktime pro, or even compressor, to transcode the h.264 to something like prores422.

It is possible that the project file can be recovered from the last backup. Did you have her check the autosave vault for those files?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 31, 2013 at 9:15:01 am

If you intend to just cut can be Ok.
Whatever thing you need to render, beside risking every kind of glitches -as Mark says- the stuff will be recompressed with the subsequent lose in quality.
Converting the H264, will make FC works easier, but you won't avoid the quality lost on the H264 compression.
If you want to keep quality , you should use the H264 just as a guide to help you editing faster the original footage.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:25:06 pm

Find that project file. Trying to polish and color correct from a compressed H.264? I would really discourage that. Was it lost? Or "withheld" by the other editor?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mike rakoff
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:22:31 pm

Hi Mark,

Yeah, so no potential recovery. I believe this is from a few years ago and her editor has either deleted the file or lost the drive it was on.

I believe MPEG will do the trick. Thanks again!

-Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]