FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two displays problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcos Horacio
Two displays problem
on Jan 30, 2013 at 8:10:41 pm

Hi everyone,
So, I have a Mac Pro, running 10.8.2, and FCP 7.0.3. In the machine I have 2 graphics cards, an ATI Radeon HD 5770 and a NVIDIA Quadro 4000. I have an Apple LCD display connected to the Radeon as my primary monitor. From the Quadro, via HDMI, I have a NEC 1920x1080 that I want to use as my second monitor. The problem is... it's not working!

I'm trying to monitor an Apple Pro Res 23.98 HQ project and when I choose "Show all Frames" from the video preview option, I see only a freeze frame. I tried also connecting it via VGA and the same problem occurs. I tried setting up a basic NTSC, 29.97 project and monitoring it but the same think happens.

Now, if I have this second display hooked to the ATI Radeon card, via VGA, it works fine... but every once in a while the display "blinks" and goes white. Eventually FCP crashes.

Nvidia people say I shouldn't have two cards hooked to the same motherboard. I think that's BS for i've been reading about people using both with no problem.

I would really appreciate your help!!!

Thanks,

Marcos H.

Mac Pro
3.33Hhz 6-Core Intel
12GB RAM
FCP Studio 2
AE / PS / AI CS6

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Two displays problem
on Jan 30, 2013 at 9:16:35 pm

[Marcos Horacio] "Nvidia people say I shouldn't have two cards hooked to the same motherboard. I think that's BS for i've been reading about people using both with no problem."

They are right. FCP doesn't like two graphics cards. Sure, you can have the 4000 in the system for boosting RESOLVE, but you can't have monitors connected to both and have it work properly. FCP works with one GFX card only.

Hook both displays to that card. But you said when you did that FCP hung? Hmmm...remove the NVIDIA and see what happens then. But for monitoring full screen, you need an IO card...VIDEO capture card, not graphcis card.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marcos Horacio
on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:05:23 pm

Thanks, Shane! So, I do have a Blackmagic Decklink card in a box that I can install. Do you think I should just take the ATI Radeon? Apparently Is FCP the only app which doesn't like two graphics cards? I was using Premiere Pro and AE CS2 and, besides some eventual hickups (the second display goes blank every now and then) they ran pretty smoothly.

Marcos H.

Mac Pro
3.33Hhz 6-Core Intel
12GB RAM
FCP Studio 2
AE / PS / AI CS6

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:08:37 am

If you plan on upgrading to CS6, the Quadro 4000 will be a perfect match!

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:15:27 am

[Marcos Horacio] "Apparently Is FCP the only app which doesn't like two graphics cards?"

Of course it is long in the tooth now but Apple Color also will not run with 2 video cards

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]