FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lagging in the motion tab/canvas

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daren Seifert
Lagging in the motion tab/canvas
on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:10:51 pm

In my current film I have 6 nest (and probably more coming) going at the same time. In each of these nests there are about 30 separate clips. It's a very complex stop motion scene and it's looking good. The only problem is when i'm in the "motion" tab and make a certain change, say to change the scale, rotation, center, crop, or anything it literally takes a whole minute to show the change on the canvas. Now this might not seem like a big deal but when I have to make very minute changes 10 or more times to 6 or more nests this gets very annoying. I know the problem only exist on this project, because my other projects are still working fine. What i'm wondering is: Is there any way to make make the images very basic or change it to where it doesn't take up as much memory at least until i'm done editing it?

Thank you in advance!

A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
-William Blake

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Lagging in the motion tab/canvas
on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:59:50 pm

I've never had to deal with your particular problem, but I can say the most likely answer answer, unfortunately, is "You're stuck".

By your description of the project, you're trying to make a video editing application do things that are more effectively done in effects and compositing applications such as Motion or After Effects.

If you have more such detailed, multi-layered work for this project, you may want to investigate using them.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lagging in the motion tab/canvas
on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:27:48 pm

Nesting is bad habit in FCP 7. If you want to improve performance, render out each subset of the nest into a reference movie, thus reducing the constant multilayer rendering you're asking the machine to do for you.

You have traded the flexibility to change any edit at any point, at any time, for the huge rendering workload of that many nests and sub-nests. You can keep doing that and live with the results, or, make an irrevocable decision once in a while with a rendered sub-master, then re-import the submasters into a parallel timeline, and re-start your layering from that point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]