FORUMS: list search recent posts

any way to "render in the background?"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
any way to "render in the background?"
on Jan 30, 2013 at 1:08:56 am

i'm 99.9% sure the answer is still "no", but just thought i would ask. it would sure be nice to be able to render out a project and work on another one. i guess there's always the overnight or my beloved while-i-watch-Honey-Boo-Boo time to do it...

do any of you run FCP on a second machine? i'm sure they sell such a license, i've just never lurked into it...

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: any way to "render in the background?"
on Jan 30, 2013 at 1:14:42 am

No background render in FCP7. I believe that a FCS3 license allows for a second install but only one machine can be internet connected at a time.

This has been discussed here before so try searching this forum or check the Apple site

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Jan 30, 2013 at 1:36:45 am

Thanks Michael. I did do a quick search for background render, but failed to search for the second machine thing. Thanks!

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 30, 2013 at 1:45:43 am

The single user license states

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

However Michael is correct in that it does allow you a 2nd install however this is meant to be for "back-up"

If you install same licence key on 2 machines that are on the same network you will get a warning that says something along the lines of:-

There is already a computer running using that licence key - and Final Cut will then close on the 2nd machine. Of course you can get around this by not having them network connected and then they will both run fine.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jan 30, 2013 at 5:49:04 am

You can send jobs to Compressor and work in Final Cut while Compressor is busy, but it doesn't tend to work very well.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 30, 2013 at 8:06:07 pm

[tad newberry] "...i guess there's always the overnight or my beloved while-i-watch-Honey-Boo-Boo time to do it..."

Absolutely!

In the early days of After Effects, render times of 20 seconds PER FRAME were very common. If you were rendering out a couple of 30-second spots, you'd just get everything ready to go, hit the render key, go home....

...and things should be ready the next morning. God help you if you made a dumb mistake.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Jan 30, 2013 at 8:10:42 pm

: )

Ya...and my favorite dumb mistake to find in the morning: "Error - Disk full" (why can't it tell you that BEFORE a 5 hour render?) Oh well, i've learned the hard way.

FCS3
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]