FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring projects from FCP5 on G5 to FCP7 on Intel MacPro - Anything to watch out for?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric McCarthy
Transferring projects from FCP5 on G5 to FCP7 on Intel MacPro - Anything to watch out for?
on Jan 29, 2013 at 9:59:18 pm

Hi all,

I need to incorporate a bunch of legacy timelines, and render files from a client who was using FCP5 on a G5 PowerMac. I need this transferred into my existing workflow which is running FCP7 on a Intel MacPro.

Is there anything that I need to watch out for, or can I simply drag all the files onto an external FW800 drive, and then place them into the appropriate folders on the MacPro? Of course I realize that I will have to reconnect all the media, and render files, but is there anything more troublesome than that? Will FCP7 on the Intel recognize the render files from FCP5 on the G5, or will I need to re-render all these timelines (after reconnecting the media)?

Does anyone have suggestions as to the steps in which this should be done, or does it matter? As always, I appreciate any suggestions that this group can provide.

I did do a (few) searches on the forums to find out if this was already addressed, but couldn't find anything. If it has been, please kindly direct me to the proper post.

¡Viva la vaca!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Transferring projects from FCP5 on G5 to FCP7 on Intel MacPro - Anything to watch out for?
on Jan 30, 2013 at 1:18:34 am

Pretty sure you will have to rerender doing it that way. FCP5 projects should open and convert.

If you have access to the G5 then try Media Managing the project to an external drive and then open that. You shouldn't need to reconnect. Media Manager however was always flakey and worse on the older versions.

Return to posts index

Eric McCarthy
Re: Transferring projects from FCP5 on G5 to FCP7 on Intel MacPro - Anything to watch out for?
on Jan 30, 2013 at 1:32:39 am

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I am going to have to restructure the folder system anyway, so I will have to reconnect all the associated files. (Good practice for the Jr editor.) So long as all the render files will still work and the FCP files will retain all the motion, audio key frames, etc. we should be okay. Someone mentioned in passing that since the PPC and Intel drives had different file structures I couldn't simply swap the HDD into a bay, but if it is just a c&p procedure should be alright.
Thanks again,
Eric

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 30, 2013 at 4:39:28 am

If there are any speed changes, they could cause problems.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:59:37 am

[Eric McCarthy] "Someone mentioned in passing that since the PPC and Intel drives had different file structures I couldn't simply swap the HDD into a bay, but if it is just a c&p procedure should be alright."
PPCs and Intel use different formatting for system HD, but this do not affects external HD.
Non "Start Up" discs can work with the newer "GUID Partition Table" or the older "Apple Partition Map".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]