FORUMS: list search recent posts

setting up monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stu Gilbert
setting up monitor
on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:31:52 am

Hey all, I'm nearing completion on a project I started back in school some two years ago. I want to check it on an external monitor to make sure all's well, so have made arrangements to rent one like the ones I used at school....

Only problem is that I'm now working on my 08 macbook, and have never attached a monitor to it, so have no idea how to go about it. It looks like the monitor has a 9 pin (serial), but how do I get that to the dvi? it seems dvi-9 pin adapters arent easy to come by......

Also, once I connect the two, how do I get only the canvas to show up on the monitor?

I know these are stupid questions, but I'm looking forward to just getting this project OUT of my life....
thanks

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: setting up monitor
on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:53:03 am

Hi Stu

What is the make and model of the monitor that you have rented ?

Thats going to help with how best to connect it and configure it.

Thanks

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini

Return to posts index

Stu Gilbert
on Jan 29, 2013 at 1:03:46 am

its a Sony Trinitron Color Video Monitor PVM-1341

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2013 at 1:05:55 am

Yeah, and that monitor doesn't connect to a computer...that's a video monitor. You definately need an IO device for that. Now, is your project SD or HD? Because that is an SD monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stu Gilbert
on Jan 29, 2013 at 1:17:24 am

it's definitely SD... just a 40 min doc, I'm mainly concerned about how the keyframed stills will look; some are sort of shimmery/blurred, so I think some of them need the settings changed, but not all...

no express 34 or sd slot, unfortunately.... if its going to be way TOO much of a hassle, I'll forgo the monitor entirely, but it makes me really nervous flying blind.It will be screened on a digital projector, and since everyone watches dvds on computers now anyway, maybe it wont matter....?

What is an IO device?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2013 at 1:18:59 am

Input/Output...like a Kona 3, IoXT...Decklink or Matrox video capture card.

Hmmm...SD. DV perchance? This will be possible if this is a DV sequence, and you happen to have a DV camera handy.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2013 at 1:03:48 am

And all that will get you is a second computer display...not a proper video signal. For that you need an IO device.

Does your '08 MBP have Express34? Or an SD Card slot?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2013 at 3:22:24 am

If this is DV, just route firewire to your DV camera, then camera to the monitor. ANd make sure your sequence setting is DV...all of your settings are DV.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Stu Gilbert
on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:05:22 am

cool.... so, running it through the camera to the monitor will give an accurate idea of what it will look like? Only the timeline will play that way, I assume?

Costwise (and hassle-wise), I'm now thinking I might just burn discs and test on friends' old glass front tvs.......

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:18:27 am

[Stu Gilbert] "so, running it through the camera to the monitor will give an accurate idea of what it will look like?"

Yes. As long as your sequence and footage is DV. Only DV can be played out via firewire to a DV Device.

[Stu Gilbert] "Only the timeline will play that way, I assume?"

Nope...everything will. Viewer too. It'll be a typical broadcast/client monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Stu Gilbert
on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:48:35 am

great, thanks a lot for your help! this is one of the many reasons I'm going back to just writing after I get done w/ this thing; too many settings!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]