FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upressing Leads to Scale/Aspect Ratio Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darrin Stemple
Upressing Leads to Scale/Aspect Ratio Issue
on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:08:05 am

Hey All,

I'm trying to upres an SD (720x480) timeline to HD (1920x1080) in FCP7. My SD clips have all been transcoded into ProRes Proxy thorugh compressor and the native clips are either shot in a Pix Recorder which brings them in in ProRes HQ or are transcoded to ProRes HQ via an SD card. My workflow/issue is the following:

I begin a new project and drop an HD clip from our A_Cam into the timeline and hit "Yes" to conform the timeline to the clips settings. Then, I copy paste the entire SD sequence (it's a 23:00 minute TV program) to the new timeline behind the HD clip, delete the HD clip, and start reconnecting media. Once I complete reconnecting media, I scrub through and nearly every clip in the project has had it's scale and aspect ratio manipulated. The most common results are 233.67% and -18.XX respectively. For the A and B cam ftg that my production team captured I then have to go in and correct these two attributes clip by clip. If anything has motion, speed ramping, or any other effect applied to it I am also forced to completely redo those, as they do not paste over either.

On top of that, all archival ftg that we have is just completely bonkers and does not even go to a uniformly incorrect scale or aspect ratio. What should be an hour or two uprez job now takes upwards of eight hours.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this would happen? I've spoken with all the in-house editors that we have here and searched through Google for hours and cannot come up with anything. Is there something wrong with my workflow that's causing this issue? Would reconnecting media in small batches vs reconnecting the entire project in one sweep help? Thanks in advance for your advice everyone!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Upressing Leads to Scale/Aspect Ratio Issue
on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:59:18 am

OK...I'm a tad confused.

[Darrin Stemple] ". My SD clips have all been transcoded into ProRes Proxy thorugh compressor and the native clips are either shot in a Pix Recorder which brings them in in ProRes HQ or are transcoded to ProRes HQ via an SD card."

So you have SD clips that have been encoded as ProRes Proxy...SD ProRes Proxy? And were these clips originally HD, or did they start out HD and transcoded to SD Proxy?

I ask this because does that mean that now you refer back to the HD masters that were ProRes HQ, and then did the following:

[Darrin Stemple] "I begin a new project and drop an HD clip from our A_Cam into the timeline and hit "Yes" to conform the timeline to the clips settings."

So now you have a sequence that is the proper frame size and codec...so you do the following:

[Darrin Stemple] "I copy paste the entire SD sequence (it's a 23:00 minute TV program) to the new timeline behind the HD clip, delete the HD clip, and start reconnecting media."

OK. Now, you must know that when you copy and paste clips that are SD into an HD project...they will scale up. SO all of your clips are scaled...THEN you reconnected. Now you need to highlight everything and right-click and select REMOVE ATTRIBUTES...and select BASIC MOTION and DISTORT.

Try that. If I assumed correctly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Darrin Stemple
on Jan 29, 2013 at 4:29:12 pm

First off, here's the answers to your couple questions, hopefully that will clear up a couple things.

1. Yes, I did indeed mean SD ProRes Proxy

2. They were originally HD and were transcoded down to SD to minimize stress on our systems and to ease the burden of delivering ftg between editors/AEs etc.

Secondly, you recommend removing the basic motion and distort attributes. I am receiving these project files from different editors, and am not the one doing the actual cutting (I am the AE on this project.) My biggest fear in doing this is that I will accidentally remove a forced cut in or zoom for people that don't use Pan Zoom Pro or a different plugin.

If I reconnect the HD clips to the SD timeline BEFORE copy and pasting it into the HD timeline, will that prevent the upscaling and, theoretically, bring everything up in the right size?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2013 at 5:13:27 pm

[Darrin Stemple] "Secondly, you recommend removing the basic motion and distort attributes. I am receiving these project files from different editors, and am not the one doing the actual cutting (I am the AE on this project.) My biggest fear in doing this is that I will accidentally remove a forced cut in or zoom for people that don't use Pan Zoom Pro or a different plugin."

Yup, and that is an issue. All of those will be wiped out and need to be redone. Because you need to remove the basic motion and distortion to get the footage to the full size. This is why it is also wise to have a Quicktime of the final offline cut to bring into the online project and overlay so you can see if this is done.

Doing this...onlining...is really the realm of an online editor. Or an online assistant. Someone who knows the finer points of how to do this, and make adjustments to make it match the offline cut. It shouldn't be handed to an assistant unless they are trained in knowing what to do...thus, and online assistant. Do they have an online editor scheduled for this?

[Darrin Stemple] "If I reconnect the HD clips to the SD timeline BEFORE copy and pasting it into the HD timeline, will that prevent the upscaling and, theoretically, bring everything up in the right size?"

It won't prevent anything...you can do it that way if you want. Relink, then copy and paste and remove attributes.

Was the transcoding done from camera masters? Or from full res quicktimes? Depending on how it was done, there are different workflows.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]