FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera mini-DV firewire through thunderbolt

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Batt
Camera mini-DV firewire through thunderbolt
on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:44:47 pm

Hello!

I have 3-CCD Panasonic PV-dv952d camera and a MacBook Pro retina!

I just bought the firewire to thunderbolt adaptater by Apple.

I can't find a way to use the camera with Final Cut Pro 7. It seems unconnected.

I don't get it...

Anybody have the same problem?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Camera mini-DV firewire through thunderbolt
on Jan 26, 2013 at 11:59:43 pm

Hi Jim

I think your issue may be that the thunderbolt to firewire adapter does not work with some older cameras and peripherals.
I believe that although you are connecting the camera via firewire the Mac still "sees" it as Thunderbolt and therefore needs a Thunderbolt driver available
for it to work. If there is no Thunderbolt driver for your camera then thats where the problems start.
There is an earlier thread about this here

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/43823

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Jim Batt
on Jan 27, 2013 at 12:08:25 am

Thanks Neil for your quick answer!

I suppose my camera is too old for my new mac book...

That's a big problem! I can buy a new adapter, not a new computer! :)

Thanks again for your answer.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 27, 2013 at 12:55:14 am

As the other thread suggests perhaps a video I/O might be the answer, although I am not familiar with the output options on that camera. Certainly a lot less than a new camera or computer.
It can shoot to SD card though ? Is there a quality limitation there ? That might be an option. Just convert whatever it produces to ProRes and FCP will be happy.

I recently bought a new MBP but decided to go for the non retina model partly because of the limited connections and need for adapters.
I got a 2.7 Gig i7 antiglare screen hi res model. Spec wise same CPU same GPU as the retina, same performance but it retains the optical dive
which you can use or replace with a 2nd HD or SSD, has firewire 800 as well as thunderbolt, ethernet, 2 x USB3 ports. You can update Ram and HD as required.
Its slightly thicker and a shade heavier than the retina and of course the display is not as hi-res but overall I felt sacrificing the display was worth the adaptability without compromise on performance. I have replaced the HD with a 512 Gig Sandisk Extreme SSD and increased the Ram to 16 gigs and it totally flies.

Hope you find a solution.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

Jim Batt
on Jan 27, 2013 at 1:27:21 am

Well in fact it's for a single projet, we're trying to stream live on USTREAM a play.

Usually I'm working with a 5D, but it's not possible to use a DSLR with ustream, so I found a DV Camera... but It's not working with my mac.

I may be able to put my hand on an older mac, or I'll buy a blackmagic box... pretty useful anyway to have something like this!

I understand why you choosed the classic MacBook Pro...!

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Jan 27, 2013 at 7:21:50 am

Shame they left the optical drive behind. I had been hoping for BluRay. Me thinks they went the wrong direction. I too opted for the Macbook Pro non-retina. Upgraded to 16gb of RAM and a Seagate Momentus XT hard drive. Perks of SSD and spinning disc. One of these days two thunder ports will be far more useful than one firewire and one thunder..but we aren't quite there yet.

Sounds like your best bet is finding a Mac with a firewire port and Final Cut Pro. These things happen on the bleeding edge. If you're going to have more DV in the future, Belkin is releasing a Thunderbolt dock with firewire very soon, and the thunderbolt cinema display has firewire. I can only assume Final Cut Pro will see these ports. As always, bleeding edge tech comes with steep pricing.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 27, 2013 at 6:29:25 pm

[Jeff Meyer] "Belkin is releasing a Thunderbolt dock with firewire very soon, and the thunderbolt cinema display has firewire. I can only assume Final Cut Pro will see these ports"

The snag with that, as I understand it, is that despite the firewire connection the rMBP still needs an available thunderbolt driver for the camera.
As Walter noted in the older post on this

[Walter Soyka] "The device presents to the system as Thunderbolt, not Firewire, so the device must have a Thunderbolt driver to work."

Since Jim's DV camera is originally from around 2002 there are no Thunderbolt drivers available and you have to figure Panasonic are not going to bother writing one.

I had a quick look at the manual for the Panasonic and the best option other than firewire is that it has an SVideo output. So a possible solution is to use a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle which has an SVideo input http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/
The USB3 version is $199 and the Thunderbolt version is $239
Its a pretty basic analogue I/O so ideal for the DV camera but not too great for anything else, but at $199 perhaps justified for a single job.
That would probably work as long as the camera outputs SVideo "live" rather than only during playback.

I don't think AJA have an I/O with SVideo except the IO HD but that connects to the computer via Firewire. So could easily have same issues.
The Matrox MX02 Mini Thunderbolt version has SVideo and supports streaming (Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, Microsoft Expression, QuickTime Broadcaster, Telestream Wirecast) but its more expensive at around $500

Anyway just a few thoughts and options.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]