FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speeding Up Export?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Flatau
Speeding Up Export?
on Jan 26, 2013 at 4:04:45 am

Hello,

I just did a major upgrade to my Mac Pro, I am now rocking 64 gigs of ram and a 240gb ssd.

I do video game type stuff on youtube, and the video I am trying to export is about 30 mins long.

I have two clips - the video game footage(720p) and my personal footage recorded with a sony handycam (1080p). They way I have it setup is the video game footage is the main footage if you will, and the footage of me is on the top right corner.

I currently have the media on another harddrive a 500gb 7200 sata drive. and my main drive is the SSD. I did research and I read this was the best approach or I thought.

When I export the media into h.264 it is still taking about 25 or so mins to export.. Before I did the upgrade to my computer it was still around 30 mins or so.. So it didn't really speed it up that much.. Kind of disappointing after spending close to a grand on these upgrades.

My question do you guys, is if you have any recommendations on how to speed up the export process up?

I have a Mac Pro 8 core. And When I look at the activity monitor it seems that I am only using about 30% of the CPU power.

Thanks in advanced.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Speeding Up Export?
on Jan 26, 2013 at 7:03:17 am

Faster processors are the key. And you can't upgrade those.

BUT...there are other options for speeding up encoding H.264 files.

Matrox Compress HD is one: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/compresshd/

And any of their MAX line of IO devices.

Another is the Elgato Turbo264: http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.ht...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Speeding Up Export?
on Jan 26, 2013 at 9:15:32 am

It's quicker to export in timeline settings and then encode to H264 with something better for that job than FCP. (See Shane's suggestions).

Using Compressor or MpegStreamclip for encoding to H264 may not save much time end to end if you choose high quality settings and include the regular export from FCP, but they can do it in the background freeing up your FCP so that you can carry on working.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]