FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canceling Smoothcam analysis

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Doyle-Mace
Canceling Smoothcam analysis
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:52:09 am

Hello all - this is my first post ever, and I also happen to be very new to FCP. So be gentle, please :)

My problem is this: this morning, I applied the smoothcam filter to 50 clips in my timeline. Not knowing that FCP would actually analyze the source clips' entireties and not just the selections in the timeline, I let the analysis begin and stepped away, then had to run out the door for work. Upon returning 12 hours later and discovering that not even half of the clips had been analyzed and that it would apparently take probably another 12 to do the rest, I freaked out a bit. This project is due in two days and I was really counting on knocking out a big chunk of it tonight. I now realize that that ain't gonna happen...

So the QUESTION I have for anyone reading this is: if I click "cancel" on the analysis (in order to export the desired selections as new clips and re-import them, thus saving hours of analysis time), will I lose the nice smoothing changes it's already applied to the first half of my clips??? Because, considering how long it took for FCP to do that...I reeeeeeally don't want to lose anything. However, I also don't want to have to wait until tomorrow night for this analysis to be done.

Any advice, particularly from those of you who've had this problem yourself?

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Canceling Smoothcam analysis
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:51:44 pm

The ones that are analyzed you can manipulate.

I would recommend you cutting out the portions of video that you want to stabilize, export that as a self-contained Quicktime movie, re-import back into FCP, apply SmoothCam filter, rinse and repeat for other clips.

It was definitely a weakness of FCP that it wouldn't stabilize simply the In/Out range of a clip, but it would tackle the whole clip. So if your brought in a 30 minute Quicktime, but only used 10 seconds it would start analyzing the whole 30 minute clip. But like I said, just trim out the 10 seconds you want and make a self-contained QT file. Then you apply the SmoothCam filter you're only literally analyzing a 10 second clip. Don't forget to leave yourself handles on both ends in case you need to trim, slip or cross dissolve the clip. Add a second or two to both ends to give yourself some wiggle room in your edit.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]