FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 solution needed to get 2 speaking volumes to same level

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Ramus
FCP 6 solution needed to get 2 speaking volumes to same level
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:56:20 pm

Hi, I have Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 with one track of audio for a 70 minute video of a lecture with 2 people talking. One person is much louder than the other. As an alternative to using pen tool every 15 seconds, I was hoping to use some effect like AUPeakLimiter. I thought maybe I could fix this if I boosted softer person up to normal level and then set a limit with effect so louder person wouldn't get extremely loud then. Is this possible?

I double-clicked audio to viewer and dragged AUPeakLimiter to that window. I set limiting amount to around 12 but that did nothing at all. Obviously I am missing something with how this works. Finding a "how-to" on this in google and here has been one of those needle in haystack, wild goose chase dead-ends for me.

I also tried some "Normalizing" instructions here but that didn't work for me at all.

Thank you very much,
Jim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP 6 solution needed to get 2 speaking volumes to same level
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:10:36 pm

Google "Levelator".
You will need to export ferst the audio as an AIFF and them bring it back to Fc.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jim Ramus
on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:26:18 pm

Thank you for your help, that app worked really well. Unfortunately, that new aiff version does'nt stay in sync with video for some strange reason though.

Jim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 24, 2013 at 6:34:12 pm

Which kind of footage are you working with?
rafael

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 24, 2013 at 7:26:23 pm

Probably saved the audio at the wrong frame rate, check that timeline, clip, and sequence setting all agree.

Return to posts index

Jim Ramus
on Jan 24, 2013 at 9:33:56 pm

I ended up using Audacity to change tempo which doesn't affect pitch and got it to match although took forever.

I am very new to this, about 9 months) with minimal training so a lot of video talk goes right over my head. As for "what kind of footage", sorry, all I know is they are AVCHD files. Usually I don't have a problem with this sync "drift", last one worked fine with same type of files.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 25, 2013 at 8:58:09 am

[Jim Ramus] "they are AVCHD files."
That is the problem with the out of sync audio and the long processing time.
The format is not supported in FC.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jim Ramus
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:20:12 pm

by Rafael Amador on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:58:09 am
"That is the problem with the out of sync audio and the long processing time.
The format is not supported in FC."

Well actually, I've done about 100 AVCHD videos in FCP 6 using Log and Transfer for about 6 months now with no problem at all with audio drifting out of sync or anything for that matter. This was first time I had a problem and maybe last time for a long time since this was an unusual situation.

I found out last night the video wasn't done with the usual camera but by someone while in Germany, which also was likely explanation for first error of this kind when importing to DVD Studio, "PAL assets cannot be imported into NTSC projects".

Jim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:18:17 pm

[Jim Ramus] " I've done about 100 AVCHD videos in FCP 6 using Log and Transfer for about 6 months now with no problem at all with audio drifting out of sync or anything for that matter. "

Consider yourself lucky so far. Also consider that eventually, your luck will change.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 25, 2013 at 5:40:16 pm

[Jim Ramus] "Well actually, I've done about 100 AVCHD videos in FCP 6 using Log and Transfer for about 6 months now with no problem at all with audio drifting out of sync or anything for that matter. This was first time I had a problem and maybe last time for a long time since this was an unusual situation. "
Well, then you are editing Prores, no AVCHD.
But that wasn't was I wanted to know.
I wanted to know if you where in NTSC land, and you where editing on a sequence that has a different time-base than the default sequence, because there is a well know bug that may puts audio out of sink in that case.
When your default sequence (the one you get when you make a "New Sequence") is (for example) 29.97fps, and you import audio, FC will treat that audio as it was 29,97fps, so if you bring that audio to a sequence that is 23,98fps, the audio will go out of sync.

So if your default sequence has a different time base than that AVCHD/Prores you are editing, when you reimport the AIFF from LEVELATOR, the audio will drift off sync in the time-line.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/lyon_matt/

rafael

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Jan 28, 2013 at 3:13:04 pm

I use Levelator all the time on 40 min shows and never have a problem with audio drifting.

You must have exported the audio at the wrong frame rate.
There are no setting that can be adjusted in Levelator as far as I've seen, so it must be something on the file going into Levelator.

Steve.

Return to posts index

Jim Ramus
on Jan 30, 2013 at 7:45:13 pm

Before I had to chance to read some of this Friday, I ended up just comparing time length of video to length of audio (4 minutes) and changing audio length in Audacity with Tempo effect which changes speed but not pitch. Very likely not the best method as it took some re-adjusting back and forth in Audacity but got a perfect sync eventually.

Rafael Amador said:
"I wanted to know if you where in NTSC land, and you where editing on a sequence that has a different time-base than the default sequence, because there is a well know bug that may puts audio out of sink in that case."

Yes, I use NTSC which is what it needs to be in to view on US DVD players.

Thanks to all for all the tips. It is now done and on dvd. This project was too time consuming but a learning experience I guess.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]