FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD to pro res?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
heidi schrodinger
SD to pro res?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:25:46 am

Hi,
I am hoping to submit a short film recently completed to a film festival. It was shot in SD on a Sony PD 150 but they require a pro res version for the festival- supplied on hard drive- if selected. How would I go about converting to Pro Res and should I expect good results or not? I have final cut pro x and compressor available and no budget left whatsoever.
Thanks for your advice,
Heidi

'Getting back into making after a long time off'

Return to posts index

heidi schrodinger
Re: SD to pro res?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:17:56 am

or, forgive me my complete ignorance- is it already on Pro Res if edited as such originally?

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:46:58 am

If it was shot with a PD150 then it's DVCAM. Since FCP can handle DVCAM natively, there'd have been no need to transcode it to ProRes before editing.

To convert it to ProRes you can simply export it from FCP and choose "ProRes 422" as the export codec. Alternatively, if you already have an exported QT file of the finished project, you can open it in QT Player or MPEG Streamclip and export it as ProRes. Or you can use Compressor, but that's a little more involved since its interface isn't necessarily all that intuitive.

Quality-wise, ProRes will look identical to the original.

Return to posts index

heidi schrodinger
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:38:28 am

Yes indeed, compressor is the most confusing piece of cr*p, I mean software, I have ever had to use.

What I am hoping to do is allow the film to show well on a bigger screen. Have also heard of exporting as 720p to do this?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:49:00 am

The original was shot on DVCAM (720x480). If edited in DV, export a QT Movie, drag that file into Compressor and choose a ProRes preset. Do not change any dimensions. The file size will be significantly larger than the DV file.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 23, 2013 at 6:36:53 am

Or better:
Edit in native DV, and when you have everything ready to export, change the sequence setting by Prores and set "Render in High Precision".
Avoid exporting to DV (recompression) and then converting somewhere else to Pores.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]