FORUMS: list search recent posts

i shoot on a canon 550d DSLR at 720 @ 50fps. could someone recommend the best FCP settings for timeline and for export so i can keep quality?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo
i shoot on a canon 550d DSLR at 720 @ 50fps. could someone recommend the best FCP settings for timeline and for export so i can keep quality?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:52:34 am

Hi All

first off, new to the forum but not to CC, about time i said hello.

I m a low budget video maker who for whatever reason seems to be unable to get my head around the whole exporting business. I m a filmmaker, not a computer engineer Jim.

As said above, i shoot on a canon 550d at 720 @ 50 fps. Right now i m using a Apple intermediate codec 720@50 on the timeline settings. then when it comes to exporting my video i will simply export as a quicktime movie, meaning that my final file is normally in the couple of Gigabytes, then i have a piece of software that compresses it down.

I understand that when you compress something obivously you will lose some quality, but sometimes it becomes very pixelated.

Can anyone recommend a good timeline setting for the intial edit and then a good export setting to keep as much quality as possible. The one with the best answer gets a jelly baby

muchos gracias senorita x

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: i shoot on a canon 550d DSLR at 720 @ 50fps. could someone recommend the best FCP settings for timeline and for export so i can keep quality?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 1:42:35 pm

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "I m a low budget video maker who for whatever reason seems to be unable to get my head around the whole exporting business. I m a filmmaker, not a computer engineer Jim"
If you are a budget video maker you will have to learn things that millionaire video makers don't need to learn. They hire a video editor.

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "Right now i m using a Apple intermediate codec 720@50 on the timeline settings. "
That's a poisonous codec. Avoid it.

Start by having a look to this tutorial:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
Re: i shoot on a canon 550d DSLR at 720 @ 50fps. could someone recommend the best FCP settings for timeline and for export so i can keep quality?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:04:51 pm

FCP don't support natively files from canon, you need to transcode before start editing.
you need to download the plug in and make a little hack to use with 550d.
look at this
http://philipbloom.net/2010/03/22/final-cut-plug-in-to-import-footage-direc...
Good luck

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:02:41 pm

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "Right now i m using a Apple intermediate codec 720@50 on the timeline settings"

I suggest that your retransfer your footage to ProRes. Apple's Intermediary Codec was designed for G5 systems and willing to sacrifice quality to get playback. You do not want this.

If you retransfer at prores, FCP will work very well. Put your first clip on the timeline and it'll ask you if you want FCP to make it match (and you do.) No other headaches involved!

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "then when it comes to exporting my video i will simply export as a quicktime movie, meaning that my final file is normally in the couple of Gigabytes, then i have a piece of software that compresses it down."

Well, I'd suggest exporting your timeline when you finish as a Digital Master a final version divorced from your editorial system. You can store this indefinitely and make whatever distribution copies you like using Compressor or another compression application.

FCP7 has the extra ability to talk directly to compressor (from your original timeline) and get a small quality advantage.

Using ProRes 422 as a transcode or for longer term storage is a common workflow. You visually will not be able to tell the difference between your camera originals and your ProRes footage.

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "I understand that when you compress something obivously you will lose some quality, but sometimes it becomes very pixelated."

Any time you compress or transcode the quality takes a hit.
Camera file > ProRes 422 (nearly invisible.)
Camera file > AIC (visible quality hit)
ProRes finished version > h.264 (visible quality hit depending on how severe you set the compression.)

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:21:28 pm

HI Guys, first off thanks for the responses.

secondly, i ve made a bit of a boo boo, my timeline settings are actually 'APPLE PRORES 422 (HQ) 1280x720 50p 48khz'

so let me apologise for giving out the wrong information!!!!

ok, so i believe my timeline is set to the right settings, now this is where my brain gets muddled, i see lots of posts and even canon saying you need this plugin for canon 550d footage to work, yet, once i ve finished shooting i take my memory card, plug it into my card reader and click/drag/drop my footage into a folder. this footage is displayed at .MOV. and seems to edit fine on the timeline, no slowing down, no problems whatsoever. so one question is why do i need the plugin?

my brain seems to tell me that the footage i click/drag/drop may be .MOV but i need to change it to something else in order to keep more quality? or am i way off base with this. explain to me as you would a child. i m technically an old fashioned editor, rhythm and pace and story no problem, settings and import/export and codecs my eyes wash over

@jeff, thanks for the exporting info, i ll give that a blast and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:06:51 pm

Your 550D shoots in H264. This is great for acquisition but a nightmare for editing. Do not drop your H264 .Movs onto your timeline. This will mean lots of rendering and also you will run into issues.

The plug in you need is because that allows FCP to log and transfer the footage from your camera and transcode it to ProRes 422. This is the correct way to deal with your footage. Rafael pointed you in totally the right direction with Shanes workflow. Follow this and all will be good.
Dropping your .Mov H264s into your timeline may seem to work but you will run into issues so please dont work this way.

You will need to edit a file in the Canon plug in to make it "see" your camera. I have the same camera and it works perfectly. Its very simple to do.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:09:48 pm

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "once i ve finished shooting i take my memory card, plug it into my card reader and click/drag/drop my footage into a folder. this footage is displayed at .MOV. and seems to edit fine on the timeline, no slowing down, no problems whatsoever. so one question is why do i need the plugin?"

Because FCP doesn't work with the H.264 files the camera shoots. It might SEEM like it will, but you won't get any real time effects, you might lose sync while editing, or when you export your final you might encounter dozens of potential issues like loss of sync, wrong sections of clips showing up, bad artifacting during transitions. It's unpredictable.

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "my brain seems to tell me that the footage i click/drag/drop may be .MOV but i need to change it to something else in order to keep more quality?"

.MOV is a container...that just means that it's a Quicktime file. MOV can be one of a dozen codecs...ProRes, Mpeg-2, H.264, Apple Intermediate, Sorenson...the list goes on. The camera shoots H.264...it needs to be converted to PRORES.

Or, you can use a ProRes sequence, but that will require you to render the footage all the time.

[ChrisMarsh RetronicaVideo] "explain to me as you would a child. i m technically an old fashioned editor, rhythm and pace and story no problem, settings and import/export and codecs my eyes wash over"

Rafael did...early on in the post. You need to watch this tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Spencer Averick
on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:34:55 am

Anytime you shoot anything on that camera and want to edit in fcp7, always first bring it ALL into compressor and create all new ProRes422 (or ProRes LT) clips. No quality loss. Edit in that (frame size and frame rate will stay the same thru compressor). When finished, export a "quicktime movie" which is full res. Now use that full res video to create whatever other formats you want with compressor, like h264 for web.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]