FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip I was editing with has suddenly lost its codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Clip I was editing with has suddenly lost its codec
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:07:59 am

So there I am happily editing away with a DV-PAL source clip, and suddenly I can't write video into the sequence any more. I can play the clip in the Viewer, mark in and out points and all the rest, but when I try and write it into the sequence I just get nothing in the video track. The audio writes across fine, but it's as if I was doing an audio-only edit, the video track remains empty.

I trashed the prefs and rebooted, but no change. Then I looked at the clip properties in the bin, and in the "codec" column it said "None". There appears to be no way to change it back to "DV-PAL". In about 6 years of using FCP I've never seen that before.

I did a Get Info on the clip (which is a standard QT), and it reported it as a completely normal DV-PAL file. Same when I loaded it into QT Player and then called up the Inspector. I duplicated the source clip, renamed it and re-imported it into FCP, and it was fine - the codec was reported as "DV-PAL" and I could edit as normal, but if I tried re-importing the original clip, it still said that it had no codec.

Very weird. Can anyone cast any light on this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Clip I was editing with has suddenly lost its codec
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:04:28 pm

My guess (and it's only a guess) that a bit has been flipped in the original qt file and it's damaged. When you used QuickTime pro and made a copy? It rewrote the header correctly which is why you can use it.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:39:00 am

Possible, I guess. But why did only FCP stop recognising it as a DV file, and why did it happen mid-edit? QT Player, MPEG Streamclip and VLC all still played the clip normally, and all reported it as a standard DV-PAL file.

It's probably just one of those things, and it'll never happen again.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:53:00 pm

Perhaps I'm suggesting the obvious here, but I have to be sure...

You do have your track destination set correctly don't you?

Alex Elkins
@postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
View my new colour correction reel

Return to posts index

Gareth Randall
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:36:56 am

It's *not* a track destination issue :)

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:47:39 pm

[Gareth Randall] "It's *not* a track destination issue :)"

Had to be sure!

I know you said that a duplicate of the file imports correctly. Have you tried duplicating the file and then re-connecting to it (as opposed to re-importing it and manually repeating all of the cuts you'd done with that clip)?

Another thing to try would be to use FCP's built-in 'Make Offline' feature? I'd use that to disconnect from the problem file, save, close and re-open the project, then manually re-connect to the same file. It might force FCP to kind of 'refresh' it's interpretation of that file.

It's certainly an odd situation that I've never encountered before.

Alex Elkins
@postbluetv
http://www.postblue.tv
View my new colour correction reel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]