FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing 1080i footage (from GH2) to FCP: interlaced or progressive ProRes 422?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joshua churchill
importing 1080i footage (from GH2) to FCP: interlaced or progressive ProRes 422?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:36:27 am

i'm starting a project with some footage I shot on my Panasonic GH2 that was shot in 1080i.

the final delivery will be HD video for the web (hosted both on my website, as well as Vimeo).

i'm about to transcode/import the .mts file to ProRes 422 with compressor since it seems that something happened to the file structure on my card (preventing me from using Log & Transfer).

that said, should i transcode the footage to interlaced ProRes 422 (and then deinterlace later when i export the video as H.264 video for the web) or should I deinterlace it as I transcode it to ProRes 422?

thanks in advance,

_jc

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: importing 1080i footage (from GH2) to FCP: interlaced or progressive ProRes 422?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 1:23:33 am

Get ShotPut Pro for the future. It will offload the cards and ensure the full structure is intact.

Why did you shoot 1080i if your intention was for the web?

I'd deinterlace the final...work at as high quality as you can when you start the edit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

jay church
Re: importing 1080i footage (from GH2) to FCP: interlaced or progressive ProRes 422?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:44:59 am

[Shane Ross] "Get ShotPut Pro for the future. It will offload the cards and ensure the full structure is intact.

Why did you shoot 1080i if your intention was for the web?

I'd deinterlace the final...work at as high quality as you can when you start the edit."

i didn't realize the camera was set for 1080i, i thought it was set for 30p.

deinterlacing at the end (at export) was my instinct as well. thanks for the confirmation.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:28:55 pm

[jay church] "i didn't realize the camera was set for 1080i, i thought it was set for 30p."

You may indeed have SHOT 30p, but your camera recorded it as interlaced. Many cameras have no other option than to do this.

Back in the days when DV was common, SD cameras could also shoot 30p, but it was recorded as interlaced: it was a limitation of the DV codec. This is nothing new.

I recommend looking your camera and its manual over very closely to ascertain precisely what you did when you shot.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

white yufeng
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:39:01 am

You'd better deinterlace your 1080i files to 1080p. In fact, the quality of 1080 60i is equal to 1080 30p.

-----------------------------------------------

Camcorder Video Tips

Return to posts index

jay church
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:46:40 am

[white yufeng] "You'd better deinterlace your 1080i files to 1080p. In fact, the quality of 1080 60i is equal to 1080 30p"

the question is when/where in the workflow to do so.

when transcoding it for import, or importing it as interlaced (as suggested above) and then deinterlacing it to 30p at export.

my feeling is the latter. are you of another opinion?

thanks,

_jc

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:49:32 am

[white yufeng] "You'd better deinterlace your 1080i files to 1080p. In fact, the quality of 1080 60i is equal to 1080 30p."

Sorry, but that is wrong. When you deinterlace, you effectively throw out half of your resolution. You discard one field of information, and stretch the other to fill in the missing information. 1080i60 de-interlaced will be soft, and half the resolution of 1080p30. 1080p30 fills in both fields with the full picture information.

No, if you shot 1080i and need to deliver 1080p...best to de-interlace when you compress the final. Less resolution loss. Otherwise you toss out half the information....then edit...then toss out more information when you compress the final.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:32:18 am

Yeah, 1080i60 is a 1920x540 field every 1/60 of second as opposed to 1080p30 which is one 1920x1080 frame every 1/30th of a second. The date rates are similar but the image quality and motion characteristics are different.

My gut reaction was the same as Shanes (cut in 1080i then deinterlace later) but any GFX you use will most likely get killed if you start in "i" and end up in "p". So you could either convert to "p" first or cut in "i", export a high res ProRes master (w/o GFX) in "p", drop that into a new progressive timeline, add GFX, then export again.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:04:44 am

Make sure that the video is really interlaced.
When you shoot p30, the files shows up also as i60, but in fact ther are what is called PSF.
In that case you only need to check the clips as Progressive (NONE) and edit as Progressive.
So, get somme pics with a lot of movement on, set the Canvas at 100% and see if they are really 2 fields in the picture.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

jay church
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:55:28 am

ok, i've imported transcoded the source as interlaced and plan to deinterlace as i export/compress.

i use the x264 encoder via quicktime conversion in FCP to make my "h.264" web videos.

to anyone that is familiar with that encoder, is it better to check the "deinterlace" option in the "size" section of the quicktime movie settings, or to choose one of the conversion settings (interlaced conversion, progressive conversion) under "chroma subsampling" under the behavior tab in the x264 settings? or a combination of the two?
and which conversion setting would you choose in this instance in the x264 settings?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:11:43 am

[jay church] "to anyone that is familiar with that encoder, is it better to check the "deinterlace" option in the "size" section of the quicktime movie settings, or to choose one of the conversion settings (interlaced conversion, progressive conversion) under "chroma subsampling" under the behavior tab in the x264 settings? or a combination of the two?"
Is important to avoid the "Deinterlace source video" in the QT GUI (size). The default QT deinterlace is crap.
Deinterlace with whatever other application before to make the xh264 compression.
Then on the x264 options (Behavior) you must chose "Progressive conversion" because your footage is already Progressive. That affects only to the way Chroma is compressed.
rafael

Return to posts index

jay church
on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:17:34 am

[Rafael Amador] "Is important to avoid the "Deinterlace source video" in the QT GUI (size). The default QT deinterlace is crap.
Deinterlace with whatever other application before to make the xh264 compression.
Then on the x264 options (Behavior) you must chose "Progressive conversion" because your footage is already Progressive. That affects only to the way Chroma is compressed."

how/where would i deinterlace before the quicktime conversion export?

my transcoded footage that i'm using in FCP and my sequence setting are both interlaced.

thanks,

_jc

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 22, 2013 at 1:37:04 pm

If you are editing in FC, the best option is to do it in FC, but not using the FCs default deinterlacer, is as bad as the one in QT.
You can use Re_Vision FieldKit (probably the best in the market), or the Nattress.
Once your movie is edited and exported, you can use Compressor (setting "Frame Control ON"), or jes deinterlacer. MPGStreamclip too.
However the best is to do it in FC, most of all if you are adding graphics/titles.
Edit your interlaced footage on a Progressive sequence, and just before exporting, drop the deinterlacer on the clips in the time-line.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]