FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing different footage... What should my sequence settings be??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Hubbard
Mixing different footage... What should my sequence settings be??
on Jan 20, 2013 at 8:09:54 pm

Hey all,

Haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for yet so I'm seeking some help.

I inherited a mini-documentary project that has already been set up in Final Cut. The footage is all over the place. Most of it is 720p59.94fps. Some is 1080p23.98fps. Some is 1080/29.97fps. For the 720 footage, we would like to conform it in Cinetools and do slow motion with it. For the 1080p footage, we would like to zoom in on most of the shots (they were shot from far away unfortunately) without quality loss. Our final product will appear online only.

To get the best of both worlds, I have created a 720p/23.98 sequence to edit in.

Here are my questions:

1) First of all, can I just drop in the 1080p footage (since it's the same framerate). I understand that it will automatically resize, but if I zoom in on the footage to 100%, is there any quality loss??

2) For the 720p footage, after conforming in Cinematools, I get beautiful slow motion. But how can I use this 59.94fps in my 23.98fps sequence at 100% speed?? Can I just drop the unconformed 59.94 footage into my 23.98 sequence or do I have to convert it somehow??

3) For the 29.97fps footage, how can I convert it to use in the 23.98fps sequence?? Again, can I just drop it in??

I hope that I have included all pertinent info. Please let me know if this is the best workflow.

Thanks!!

Joe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Mixing different footage... What should my sequence settings be??
on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:53:46 am

[Joe Hubbard] "1) First of all, can I just drop in the 1080p footage (since it's the same framerate). I understand that it will automatically resize, but if I zoom in on the footage to 100%, is there any quality loss??"
It will resizes only if on your FCs User Preferences> Editing, is checked "Always scale clips to sequence settings". Uncheck that, and it won't resize.

[Joe Hubbard] "2) For the 720p footage, after conforming in Cinematools, I get beautiful slow motion. But how can I use this 59.94fps in my 23.98fps sequence at 100% speed?? Can I just drop the unconformed 59.94 footage into my 23.98 sequence or do I have to convert it somehow??"
So you need the clips on two versions, one slowed down and the other at the original speed.
When conforming on CinemaTools you must always do it on duplicated clips. Once conformed the footage there is no way to conform back to the original speed. Well, there are ways, but is not easy.

[Joe Hubbard] "3) For the 29.97fps footage, how can I convert it to use in the 23.98fps sequence?? Again, can I just drop it in??"
Just drop it on the sequence. It will look more choppy because frames will be dropped.

If most of your footage is 59.94fps and 29.97fps, you should consider editing at 29.97fps instead of 23,98fps.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]