FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Bizzare Error on Reconnecting Media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Smith
FCP7 Bizzare Error on Reconnecting Media
on Jan 19, 2013 at 8:32:23 am

I've got a huge and fiddly FCP7 project and unfortunately I accidentally powered down the external hard drive containing most of the media.

On trying to reconnect the media I found that it didn't seem to take to the 'reconnect all files in relative path' approach and I couldn't pick up a number of files in one big hit.

Now here's the really strange part ...

I have clips on my timeline that are marked as 'offline' but they are behaving as if they are 'online'. They load into the viewer and play on the timeline.

I've rolled back to earlier (pre crash) autosave versions and they have the same problem but if I start a fresh test project I don;t have the problem.

No amount of restarts has helped and I've rebuilt the prefs.

I've accidentally twice before and I've been able to use the reconnect media function per usual.

Anyone see a way through this?

Thanks

FCP 7.0.3
OSX 10.6.8
2.6 Ghz Intel Core Duo

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: FCP7 Bizzare Error on Reconnecting Media
on Jan 19, 2013 at 3:16:11 pm

rendered files/clips might be there while not being linked to the original...

Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Smith
on Jan 20, 2013 at 8:07:54 am

Actually Chris, yes, that might explain some clips playing off the timeline but not the case of, say, my double clicking a source clip (on the timeline marked as offline and composited over another clip) loading back into the viewer in it's original state including transparent area where the alpha channel is. To me that seems contrary to how FCP has always worked.

So I think the mystery remains.

Thanks,
Steve

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:06:37 pm

I had this happen just last week. Go to the thumbnails cache and delete them from inside the folder (don't delete the actual folder). Then re-start FCP.

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!
Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Smith
on Jan 22, 2013 at 1:00:29 am

Bingo! Deleted the two files in the 'thumbnail cache file' folder, restarted FCP and thumbnails are now correct.

This succeeded where no amount of playing around with creating new projects and sequences and cutting and pasting data could.

Tony and Rafael I can't thank you enough ... actually Rafael I wasn't quite sure what you meant by 'deleting' the thumbnails but Tony's post clarified that.

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Smith
Producer/Director/Editor

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:14:48 am

Awesome! Glad I could help.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 20, 2013 at 12:14:14 pm

[Steve Smith] "Now here's the really strange part ...

I have clips on my timeline that are marked as 'offline' but they are behaving as if they are 'online'. They load into the viewer and play on the timeline.
I've rolled back to earlier (pre crash) autosave versions and they have the same problem but if I start a fresh test project I don;t have the problem."

That's just about the "Thumbnails". FC haven't refreshed them.
I guess that if you delete them, FC will make a new set.
You can also save the project with a new name.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]