FORUMS: list search recent posts

prepping mixed framerate project for color correction

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
irene litapop
prepping mixed framerate project for color correction
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:30:43 pm

I'm finishing a very large project (complicated 90 minute timeline with many cuts and transitions). About half the original source material is telecine from 16mm film @ 23.97 fps, and about half is video that I shot at 30P. I understood all along that FCP 7 is good at handling mixed framerates on one timeline, so I did not think there was any issue with this workflow, but now the person who is going to color correct the film has told me that everything needs to be one framerate. Right now the whole timeline is a 29.97 fps sequence. The 24 fps material is playing back with doubled frames in the timeline. It looks fine to me - the extra frames are not noticeable to me.

I have a few choices, and I'm not sure what's best:

I could stay with the current 29.97 timeline, convert all the 24fps material to 29.97 (how would I do this? Compressor? Cinema Tools?) and bring it recut all the 24fps shots.

Instead of recutting, I could export 24 clips in my timeline and make new 29.97 quicktimes that exactly match the shots on my timeline, and recut them in.

I could try to rebuild everything on a new timeline at 24fps (which sounds like a huge nightmare - but does 30P played at 24 fps look better than 24fps played at 30? I guess I should pick whichever framerate will look the best?)

I had no idea this would happen... I thought the whole thing about mixed framerate timelines in FCP7 meant I didn't need to worry about mixing as needed. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: prepping mixed framerate project for color correction
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:56:45 pm

[irene litapop] "I thought the whole thing about mixed framerate timelines in FCP7 meant I didn't need to worry about mixing as needed."

Sorry, but you were the victim of Apple's Marketing Department. Everything needs to be the same frame rate.

Now the crucial question: is this SD or HD? And what variety of HD: 1080 or 720? It's tough to offer meaningful advice without knowing.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 18, 2013 at 11:23:15 pm

Where is it going for Color Correction?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 19, 2013 at 5:41:22 am

There's not much to go by here, but I will toss out that 30p is an odd duck of a frame rate. 24p, 60p and 60i seem to be the common frame rates wanted for distribution (for 60hz areas at least) so if you make a 30p master for yourself be prepared to make a different frame rate master for other people if you get distribution.

Return to posts index

irene litapop
on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:06:56 pm

Color correction will be done with davinci. Resolution is currently prores 1080.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]