FORUMS: list search recent posts

unforeseen video noise?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
unforeseen video noise?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 7:40:11 pm

I have a finished project in FCP that I output to a full Quicktime Movie - as I usually do. This time, my Quicktime has an over abundance of 'video noise'. The original in the timeline looks fine, and it is a stage lighting situation, meaning my camera is set art 6db. But I have done this same job before, under the same conditions, without seeing this much noise. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: unforeseen video noise?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 8:17:49 pm

There are more dark areas in the image, perhaps? Which, compared to previous edits, would be more easily seen?

Tough to tell without a screen grab....

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Jan 19, 2013 at 8:22:11 pm

Dave....I may put up a screen grab. As you asked, there is a lot of 'dark' on this project - being that it is stage ballet. But here's a little more info that might be of importance:

This ballet was shot on tape. Halfway through the show, I put in a fresh tape. The fresh tape doesn't show too much noise. Only the first tape. I tried using a noise reduction filter out of FCP 6, and after it renders it looks greatly improved. But when I output a Quicktime at that point, it doesn't look the same. Never have used a noise reduction filter. Maybe that's indicative of noise reduction filters perhaps? It did improve the noise a little, but not significantly. Is it possible this could be the tape itself?

thanks for your input

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:34:03 pm

If you had satisfactory results with a noise reduction filter -- and not knowing much about your setup -- I propose the following:
  • Create a brand-new edit timeline, matching the settings of current one, but with one exception: choose ProRes 244 for the codec.
  • Copy the contents of the current edit timeline, and paste them into the new edit timeline.
  • Render the new edit timeline and export a self-contained quicktime movie.
  • Use Compressor to create the file for final delivery.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]