FORUMS: list search recent posts

Organization and naming files for a large FCP project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alice Lee
Organization and naming files for a large FCP project
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:31:41 pm

Hi all,

I have done some research on organization methods and tactics for large FCP projects (with hundreds of hours of footage) with a tapeless media workflow, but have come up with a few different results and need more concrete answers. I just want to make sure that I don't create any problems down the road. Here are my questions:

1) Should the media file names match the clip names? I know that FCP should retain the metadata of the media file and be able to reconnect to it regardless of the new clip name, but I heard that it's best to keep it the same for long-term media management. Is this true? For instance, if I am going to be using XDCAM footage and will be editing natively with that codec, should I manually change all of the names in the Finder before importing (without the use of log & capture) the files into FCP? Should pertinent info added AFTER the import be added to the master comment and log notes columns?

2) If the clip names match the file names, will it become a nightmare to manage media if I use subclips? Is it better to perhaps use a marker system, which would then be funneled into select reels?

3) If I want to spread the project out over multiple project files, do you just copy-paste the clips you need from one project file into another? Should clip names not be renamed after this?

4) Can you verify if this is the right way to deal with the XDCAM workflow?
a. Copy all of the cards onto the media drive. The folder names given will then become the FCP
reel names. All of the reel names should be unique.
b. Rename the media files based on content. They should also all be given unique names.
c. Bypass transcoding and just directly import folders into FCP (w/o log & capture)
d. Set sequence settings to render as ProRes422

5) Is there anywhere I can still purchase Shane Ross's DVD for organizing FCP projects?

6) Is there anything else I should know?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]