FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deinstall Final Cut 5 and install Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Veronica Santos
Deinstall Final Cut 5 and install Final Cut Pro 7
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:39:59 pm

Hello everyone!

I bought recently an iMac (Lion, Os X 10.7.5) and I did a Data-Transfer with Time-Mashine from my old MacBook (where I had Final Cut 5 installed). When the transfer was over I tried to open Final Cut 5 (by clicking on the icon), but it seems I needed to reinstall it with the discs and I didn't have them with me. Though I got the Final Cut Pro 7 and as I wanted to install it (while the installation was taking place) an error message appeared: An Error has occurred (No many details at all). I thought there was trouble with the version I had so I asked a friend to let my try to install his version of Final Cut Pro 7 and it didn't work either (the same message at the same time). I thought it might had something to do with the "ghost" old version of Final Cut 5, so I "deleted" it (I just removed the icon from the applications folder). So, I tried again... with any positive results...
My question is: How can I completely deinstall Final Cut 5 so I finally can install the FCP 7?
Are there any Data-Folders I need to delete? I'm sure the program isn't completely deinstalled when I deleted the icon, right?

Is it possible that this is really the problem? If not, what should it be?
I need to finish a project that I worked with FCP 7 and that is why I urgently need this version in my new iMac.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and suggestions!
Happy new Year!

Return to posts index

Don Matthews
Re: Deinstall Final Cut 5 and install Final Cut Pro 7
on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:10:47 pm

Veronica,

FCP places files in various locations on your drive. Some are preference files, some are links to projects, etc. I would start in the Library/Application Support/Final Cut folders. FC places plugins, etc. in these folders. There is also similar files installed in your home folder, again under Library/Application Support.

Since I am using FCP 6, I am not sure of exactly where and what the various folders are, but a search of your harddrive with Spotlight may reveal others. Of course Spotlight will only reveal files and folders that you have access to either as owner or as Administrator. It will also not show you any hidden files (those files that begin with ".")

Hope this will get you started.

-DON-

Return to posts index

Veronica Santos
Re: Deinstall Final Cut 5 and install Final Cut Pro 7
on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:55:55 pm

Hello Don,

Thank you very much for your mail.
I successfully installed Final cut Pro 7! and I manage to solve my problem like this:

First, as you suggested, I searched the old data of the earlier version. With the help of this link I got to know exactly which files and folders I should delete.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1348376?start=0&tstart=0

Then I found another valuable link of a Forum, where someone had the same installation problem and here I found the way to install:

http://37prime.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/final-cut-studio-failed-installatio...

The problem was probably that somehow it is too much for the computer to install the whole package at once. I just installed Final Cut Pro 7 only, and it worked out!

Thank you very much for your advice! and happy new year!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]