FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Matroska (.mkv) files to Prores for use in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Adamson
Converting Matroska (.mkv) files to Prores for use in Final Cut Pro
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:45:49 am

Hello all,

I'm looking for a way to convert Matroska video files into Prores 422 so I can edit them in Final Cut Pro. It's just a for-fun video from existing material which is why it's in Matroska format. Usually I tend to use After Effects for conversion because it's the program on my computer that seems to recognise and be able to convert the broadest amount of formats, but when trying to convert a .mkv file, it failed part way through. Now it did render out a minute and a half of footage really well, so I'm going to assume that AE has the ability to convert .mkv files, but I'm not 100% sure of what to do to stop it from failing. I also tried Compressor (v3.5.3) but it said it failed due to a codec missing, so I'm wondering if there is a codec that I can install that allows me to convert .mkv files with AE or Compressor. It's very difficult to google this kind of thing because of Apple's minimalistic naming system for their applications (ever tried googling for info about 'Color'?")

So I'm looking to people with more experience than myself and I'm hoping there's a solution.

Thanks in advance
-Tim

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Converting Matroska (.mkv) files to Prores for use in Final Cut Pro
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:17:31 am

Download Perian (free) and you will be able to open the files on any QT based application.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tim Adamson
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:20:32 am

I actually already have Perian, but does that affect my ability to convert them? I think I can play .mkv files in quicktime, but my end goal is to convert to prores specifically for smoother editing in Final Cut Pro.

Thanks for the reply by the way.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:27:20 pm

[Tim Adamson] "I actually already have Perian, but does that affect my ability to convert them? I think I can play .mkv files in quicktime, but my end goal is to convert to prores specifically for smoother editing in Final Cut Pro."
Sorry if I don't understand what you want to achieve.
If you are able to open the files with QT Player, you will be able to open them with QT Pro, MGSTreamclip or Compressor and convert the files to Prores with the setting you want.
rafael

Return to posts index

Tim Adamson
on Jan 16, 2013 at 3:28:16 am

Well like I said, I have Perian but when I tried converting it with compressor, it failed due to "missing codec". I'm trying again now, but Compressor crashes every time I try to import the file. I don't have Quicktime Pro and I also just tried MPEG Streamclip but it doesn't seem to recognise .mkv files either...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 16, 2013 at 10:18:00 am

[Tim Adamson] " I don't have Quicktime Pro"
If you have installed FC and Compressor you have QT Pro installed by default.
FC can't run without QT Pro, I mean QTP is an integral part of FCS.
rafael

Return to posts index

Tim Adamson
on Jan 17, 2013 at 1:35:44 pm

Hmm... well is there a way to convert a file to prores using quicktime pro? Whenever I try to 'Save as' it gives me a very limited number of options.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:43:21 pm

"Save as.." is not the way to go. That can only save the files as a Reference or Self-contained movies, but always with the same parameters of the original movie. It would only change the MKV container for a QT one.

You need to "Export".
If you don't have the Export option, is because for whatever reason the PRO is not activated in QT Player.
Anyway, Prores is an option only if you have FC.6 or newer installed.
rafael

Return to posts index

Tim Adamson
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:54:46 am

EDIT: Okay I've downloaded Quicktime 7 and I entered my Final Cut Serial and it's all good, it's upgraded to pro.

Thanks for all your help :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]