Music Video Edit
Interested in hearing some options/opinions for a music video I am editing and thoughts in general:
Couple questions, feel free to answer/comment as you like.
1. Final Cut Pro really doesn't allow the intimacy of frame by frame editing like After Effects does, it kinda does but not really, is there a common practice for editing music videos and being able to see the wav form while being able to scrub the audio? I would prefer to edit in AE (so I could use more effects, design edits frame by frame instances), but the program strikes me as a strictly compositing one, I can't hear the beat and edit to the beat as I need to, like I can/do in FCP.
2. Does anyone know of AE coming out with a upgrade so that you can scrub and hear audio?
3. I'm thinking of switching to Avid completely, is Final Cut dead with the X being reasonably unusable for professional purposes.
Thanks to all love this community.
After Effects isn't an editing app. As you said, it's mainly a compositing application. If I had to edit with that...I'd be driven insane!
Not sure what you mean about the intimacy of the frame by frame editing. I've used FCP for 8 years and found it fine. Avid for more and also fine. If you open a clip in the viewer, you can see a REALLY BIG waveform and scrub and see it fine.
[Broggi Khaikin] "2. Does anyone know of AE coming out with a upgrade so that you can scrub and hear audio?"
How about using PREMIERE PRO...Adobe's editing application. AE isn't designed for this work. PPro is an editing app.
[Broggi Khaikin] "3. I'm thinking of switching to Avid completely, is Final Cut dead with the X being reasonably unusable for professional purposes."
DO what you want...also look at Premiere Pro as an option. But FCX is a professional app...just not suited for all types of editing. There is a place for it....if it isn't in your area of video...then use something else. Avid and Adobe are good alternatives. But which you choose is up to you. Both have 30 day free demos that are fully functional...so you can give them both a spin.
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def
I've used After Effects since 1997, and I would never, EVER consider editing video in it.
If you don't know for certain that AE is a compositing application, you're not prepared to begin using it. I would start here:
The normal workflow goes something like this: Edit Video in editing application > Effects & Compositing in AE > Complete project in editing application. Incidentally, you can ALREADY scrub audio in After Effects. But because AE was never intended to do editing, it doesn't work like an editing application. You need to know the AE basics first, and the link above is a good starting point.
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA
1. Dito. AE is not an editing app and hopefully never will be - for it would lose it's strength as compositing app by that. You can see you wave form in FCP. I have been editing more than 20 music video with it - worked without any problem. Since I am very anal about syncing sound FX exactly on the beat - I'd name that the only downside of FCP: In apps like Sony Vegas you can move the in ms in the timeline, while the smallest unit in FCP is 1 frame which is 1/25sec - in PAL land. Which is not an issue most of the time, but there where moments, when I disliked that a lot.
2. Not needed for it's no NLE. But you can press 0 on your number pad and have an audio preview played
3. I am still rocking fine on FCP 7. I do not use FCP X, but from what I see and heard, it looks like a good tool for Music Videos - at least since they fixed some of the major short comings of the first version. If you work with AE, I would rather consider switching to PPro since the integrated workflow with PS and AE is brilliant. And by now, PPro is a rock solid platform. You can play any media, un-rendered, straight away in the TL, no more transcoding needed. In terms of media management it is still a lot poorer than AVID, I think. But if you do mainly music video and are a one man band - doing offline and online in one person, I would definitely go for the PPro, AE and PS package.
TIME BANDITZ Productions