FORUMS: list search recent posts

Glitchy dissolves using T4i class 10 card when I export my project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Anderson
Glitchy dissolves using T4i class 10 card when I export my project
on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:48:23 am

I recently purchased a T4i and plan to use it for video production. I have been practicing with it and so far I love it. I shot a mock little project today and created a timeline and it all looks great when playing on the timeline. HOWEVER, when I export the timeline into a full .mov the dissolves have horrible blue and red glitches throughout the durration of the dissolve. I am using a class 10 card. Besides the dissolves, everything else looks great. I am cutting on FCP 7. Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Many thanks,
-Mark

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Glitchy dissolves using T4i class 10 card when I export my project
on Jan 14, 2013 at 3:47:23 pm

Hi Mark,
That camera records on a codec that is not supported by FC.
You will need to convert the footage to Prores.
For better info:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 14, 2013 at 3:52:33 pm

My workflow might not work with the T4i...too new of a camera. You might have to convert the footage with MPEG STREAMCLIP or Compressor. But he is right, you need to convert to ProRes before you start editing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:15:18 pm

[Shane Ross] "My workflow might not work with the T4i...too new of a camera. "
No L&T, Shane?
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:15:56 pm

You had to hack the Canon EOS plugin to work with the T2i...add the camera as "550D," which is the european name for it. But this hack didn't work with the T3i...and I can assume it won't work with the newer T4i.

You can try. L&T would be the way to go if you could. But if not, MPEG STREAMCLIP or Compressor are your best bets.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:08:48 pm

Thanks for the fabulous tips! All new and fun stuff to learn. With my older system, (Canon Camcorder) I simply hit the log and transfer feature on FCP 7 and the AVCHD files were brought to life.

The T4i does not shoot AVCHD, rather full .mov 1920 x 1080 files. So, instead of the log and transfer process, I just drop and drag the shots from my SD card into my drive. Really slick to be able to do this.

After reading your tips, I noticed that my sequence settings for compression was set to H.264, so I changed it to Apple Pro Res 22, and we are back in business with perfect looking dissolves!

Thanks again for the tips! Being solo, I am grateful to the CC community! Now, I have so much to learn about ISO and aperture... ha!

-Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:31:00 pm

[Mark Anderson] "The T4i does not shoot AVCHD, rather full .mov 1920 x 1080 files. So, instead of the log and transfer process, I just drop and drag the shots from my SD card into my drive. Really slick to be able to do this."

You are missing the point. The FILES THEMSELVES need to be ProRes. FCP doesn't work with H.264 media well. All sorts of issues can crop up. You can't just drag and drop the media and start using it. Sure, it seems like it might work at first, but later on you might find issues like sluggishness, sync issues when exporting, wrong clips in the cut when exporting.

You need to convert from H.264 to ProRes...THEN edit.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 14, 2013 at 8:02:25 pm

Hi Mark

Shane is quite correct there was a dodgy version of the EOS Movie plug-in that the 550D (T3i) didn't seem to like. I think it was V1.3

However with the release of the 5D MKIII they released version 1.4 and all seems to have come good, at least for the 550D. I have one and it certainly works.

I think that if you download the latest FCP EOS Movie plug-in which is V1.4 you stand a fighting chance of the T4i (or 650D as we know it here) working.

You need to edit the camera plist which is here, :- /Library/Application Support/ProApps/MIO/RAD/Plugins/CanonE1.RADPlug/Contents/Resources

I just added my 550D to the bottom of the list and all good.

I cant imagine the 550D working but the 650D not, so just add the string for your camera and fingers crossed.

Has to be worth a go.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:32:42 pm

Thanks, Shane! I have it all working by adjusting the compression settings on FCP to Apple Pro Res 22. I don't believe I need to add any plug-ins if it's all working, correct? What is the value of the plug-in? So far I am really liking the STM 18-135 lens that goes with the T4i.

-Mark

http://www.markymarkmedia.com/

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 15, 2013 at 2:43:47 am

[Mark Anderson] "Thanks, Shane! I have it all working by adjusting the compression settings on FCP to Apple Pro Res 22. I don't believe I need to add any plug-ins if it's all working, correct? What is the value of the plug-in?"
No.
What Shane means is that you need to convert those files to Prores before editing.
You have many options to do the conversion. The easiest one probably is MPGStreamclip, because his batch option.
The one that may gives the best quality is 5DtoRGB, but will be the slower one.

The plugin that Shane mentioned is interesting because can embed the original TC on the Prores files, and would make possible reconnecting to the original files on FC.
But you probably don't need that.
rafael

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Jan 15, 2013 at 4:06:54 am

Thanks, Rafael!

I will Google or search CC threads to learn how to change to pro-res before the edit process begins using MPEG Streamclip. I have never done that before. I always just logged and transferred into FCP. Always something new to learn in this wonderful paradise.

Regards,
-Mark

http://www.markymarkmedia.com/

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:59:11 am

If you don't convert those files to Prores first, you'll up have to render yiur timeline EVERY time you do anything to it when setting your timeline compression to Prores and dropping h.264 files into it.

Do as suggested and convert your files with Streamclip or a paid on like Magic Bullet Grinder (fabulous app!) before you ever start. Your life will be much better ;-)

You always want to have yiur timeline match the footage and never have h.264 footage in legacy FCP.

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

Mark Anderson
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:05:04 am

I am grateful for all your help! Thank you! After plenty of practice edit sessions, I have managed to convert the H.264 files via MPEGStreamclip and it works like a charm. I now FINALLY get it that the H.264 .MOV files that come out of the T4i have to be converted to Apple Pro Res 22 FIRST before editing, no more hassles, etc. Big hugs!

Quick question: The original 1:10 .MOV file (used for my practice session) straight out of the T4i is about 410 MB. When I convert to Apple Pro Res 22 via MPEGStreamclip, it is now about 930 MB. Does that seem right? Why does it increase so much in size?

Next step is to figure out how to batch record multiple shots in MPEG...Currently I am doing one at a time, and I remember a previous poster said MPEG can be used for batch conversion.

Many thanks!
-Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]