FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I change from mono to stereo in the timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Hartle
Can I change from mono to stereo in the timeline?
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:39:22 pm

After editing for weeks I've realized that when I pull the clips down to the timeline, only half the audio is there (left ear only on headsets). I've since fixed the setting however I don't want to have to go back and find all the audio clips and match them up. Is there a way to change from mono to stereo within the timeline? Thanks in advance for any assistance

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Can I change from mono to stereo in the timeline?
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:54:21 pm

With just one track it is not possible to create true stereo as there can be no channel separation.
However you could cheat and just make sure your one track is panned to the centre which will then play out of both speakers but will be dual mono.
If your audio is just voices, talking heads etc etc as long as the track you have used for your source contains the correct mic, for example boom or lav and not camera mic then this will not be much of an issue. Indeed you would have only used one source channel anyway.
However if it turns out you have used the wrong mic by default or there is stereo music involved and you have only taken one channel then you may have more of an issue.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Adam Hartle
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:36:51 pm

What does panned to the center mean? Thanks for the info

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:25:52 am

Panning is a term which when applied to audio means whether a signal will appear on the left, the right or the middle. The equivalent is the balance control on a hi-fi amplifier.
So where you have just one source channel you need to make sure it is panned to the centre, balanced in the middle if you will. That ensures it will come out of both left and right speakers.
On the audio mixer the pan is at the top of the fader see picture. And you will see it is in the centre which is represented by a value of "0"

Hope that helps

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]