FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Quality h264 vs Prores

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Misha Mazor
High Quality h264 vs Prores
on Jan 10, 2013 at 4:07:55 pm

Hi all,
I need to send an onlined 2 hour HD film overseas (100GB). Shipping is not an option due to time constraints. I am considering encoding it in high quality h264, uploading and having them convert back to Prores on their end for tape out.

Is this a huge "NO NO" in postproduction land, or is the quality loss negligible with super high quality h264?

Thanks,
Misha

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: High Quality h264 vs Prores
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:10:48 pm

In a word, yes.

Once you encode to H.264 from ProRes, you automatically throw away one-half of your color information. Depending on the acquisition codec, you could throw away three-fourths of your color information.

Since you mention "postproduction", you could be doing yourself no favors at all.

If shipping is an issue, consider segmenting your work and uploading it piece by piece.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:14:54 pm

I've delivered high quality H.264 as show masters for a couple networks. But then they aired the H.264's directly. I'd test to see what two conversions will look like...but that workflow sounds reasonable...ish.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Misha Mazor
on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:32:59 pm

Thanks, sounds reassuring. Anyone else have experience with h264 deliverables?

Misha

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:06:36 pm

H264. Streaming, yes. Broadcast, no.

Uploading 100GB would probably take longer than FedEx shipping. Best I've been able to achieve is about 1GB/hour. Hm. 4+ days. FedEx next day is usually about $75, $80...

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Misha Mazor
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:14:09 pm

I should add that I'm trying to ship to Russia (6 day shipping is the fastest option available via FedEx, DHL, USPS, or UPS).

And they broadcast SD, so I figure h264 is a good option for me in this case.

Misha

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:38:06 pm

An SD ProRes LT file would be much smaller and could be used directly to output to tape in SD at the Russian end. Next step down would be XDcam also in SD as it can also be used without reconverting back to ProRes at the other end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]