FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should i move to Premiere Pro or STay with FCP 7 and what hardware should i get?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Marin
Should i move to Premiere Pro or STay with FCP 7 and what hardware should i get?
on Jan 10, 2013 at 12:39:46 am

Ok so this is my question for you about editing software. I've been working with FCP7. I'm very familiar with it. But am getting over having to change codecs to prores to work with it. So I'm thinking of moving to Premire Pro. The interface of Premiere is pretty simiar. Plus i think Premire is set up to work with all kinds of footage from RED cameras and is ok with H.264 footage and wont slow it down right? I'm hoping to upgrade computers soon too. I'm working with Adobe creative suite a bit these days and its killing my little computer. Multi tasking isn't happening well.

right now I'm using a

13" Aluminum,
Late 2008 Macbook,
Processor: 2.4 GHz Core 22 Duo,
Memory: 4GB 1067 MHx DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
OS X Lion 10.7.5

Any thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
Re: Should i move to Premiere Pro or STay with FCP 7 and what hardware should i get?
on Jan 15, 2013 at 3:30:14 am

I'm certainly anxious to hear some good advice for you on this subject matter.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: Should i move to Premiere Pro or STay with FCP 7 and what hardware should i get?
on Jan 17, 2013 at 1:02:22 pm

I'm an Adobe employee so my bias is clear. Instead, I will address the question of a system and resources.

Your current system with 4GB of RAM just isn't enough. 8GB is the absolute minimum in my opinion for running a 64-bit application like Premiere Pro. If you can test on other hardware to get a feel for how the app would respond for you, I'd recommend that. If you can bump your memory to 8GB of RAM, I'd definitely recommend spending the $100 or so to make your laptop run better.

Also, remember that Premiere Pro CS6 will run on Lion and Mountain Lion, so no more Snow Leopard.

If you get a new system, I recommend a balanced approach. CPU, RAM, GPU all have to be balanced. Put 3-4GB of RAM per CPU core, more RAM will not hurt. If you're getting a tower, consider an NVIDIA card to help make the FX fly even faster with hardware acceleration. There's a lot of information out there and I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions.

Good luck and let me know if you have specific questions.

Dennis - Adobe guy
My Blog

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 17, 2013 at 3:08:50 pm

You will be pleased with how easy working in Premiere Pro is. If you like native editing, there's nothing else like it.

You could try their monthly plan before committing to the full suite. However, I must say that the benefits are far more visible on a Windows machine, including the Mercury playback engine. You will need to upgrade no matter what, as Dennis has said.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Jason Piekarski
on Jan 19, 2013 at 12:29:28 pm

Like so many of us FCP users, I've been faced with the same conundrum, and still working on FCP 7 - and just gazing at the FCPX interface just makes my stomach queasy. Like so many "old-schoolers" (I learned on FCP ver 1.2!) I'm a bit resistant to change, but realize that I MUST learn a new NLE for the future.

Phillip Bloom (who I deeply respect) pretty much made up my mind for me - click below to find out why:

http://philipbloom.net/2012/09/30/cs6/

JASON PIEKARSKI
Creative Director

jason@manikmultimedia.com
http://www.manikmultimedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]