FORUMS: list search recent posts

making a very small video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louise Macaulay
making a very small video
on Jan 9, 2013 at 4:44:51 pm

I am starting with a 1920x1080 Pro Res 422 LT file that was shot at a wide angle to leave room for cropping. I need to edit it, add graphics, and end up with a 300x250 file. What should my workflow be?

If I drop the raw file into the timeline, change the timeline settings to be 300x250 (or 640x480, for that matter), then resize the image appropriately using the wireframe, my resulting file looks significantly degraded.

Should I output a 1920x1080 file, then crop and resize in MPEG Streamclip or Compressor? If so, what are the exact steps to get the best results? I have attempted this several times with various options in each and the results are too cropped, but the video quality does look better than attempting the crop/resize in FCP. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: making a very small video
on Jan 9, 2013 at 5:26:30 pm

Do everything in 1080. When you are finished, export QT Movie current settings. Let Compressor do the downsizing for you. 640x360, 360x120

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 9, 2013 at 6:47:25 pm

[Louise Macaulay] "starting with a 1920x1080 Pro Res 422 LT file that was shot at a wide angle to leave room for cropping."

Overshooting... One issue will be that you will have to be careful about all your other element placement.
Maybe a 300x250 matte would help... or whatever will assist in predicting where your ultimate crop will be.

Dropping the 1080 material onto a smaller timeline should not affect the overall quality if you are expecting to do a pixel-for-pixel extraction. Had you noticed if the timeline render status changed color? Perhaps the degradation was simply due to a Final Cut lo-res proxy preview.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 13, 2013 at 6:45:41 am

if you really know for sure that you will never need a ful-size version of the piece,
then you can easily edit in a smaller sequence.

i wouldn't work at the ultimate small size as that is non-standard, and you wont get any RT effects.

the smallest standard sequence settings are the Offline-RT ones, but i would probably work in SD as a mid-ground.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]