FORUMS: list search recent posts

Streaming video looking pretty crappy... data rate issues possibly?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Streaming video looking pretty crappy... data rate issues possibly?
on Jan 9, 2013 at 12:43:21 am

I am having some serious issues streaming video, and it's starting to freak me out.

I have filmed an MMA instrucional series for the past two years, and I am now starting to export it and put it online.

When I use a 512kbps setting, MOST of the video looks horrible, some of it looks perfectly fine.

I think that I recorded most of my footage on a normal quality setting on my camera, and some of it on high. The stuff that looks fine must have been recorded on the higher quality setting.

While there are clearly two settings, I still don't understand why 512 kbsp looks so bad. If the footage is of a lesser quality, then it should automatically export at a lower size... thus making it pass through the 512 kbps restriction.

These files are HUUUUGE when I am logging and transferring, and a 5 second clip is about 150 mb when I just export it normally, without any settings.

Is 512 way too low of a data rate or have I dont something wrong here?

If you want to see what I'm talking about, please go to:

http://howtofightnow.com/videos/

I will export in a number of different settings so you can compare and contrast!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Streaming video looking pretty crappy... data rate issues possibly?
on Jan 9, 2013 at 3:11:56 am

Bitrate is a big factor, yes... and in context with the codec you are using... mpg2? H264?

Normally, a DVD (for example) will be encoded at anywhere between 3 and 6 Megabits (3,000 - 6,000 kbits) per sec.
Take a look at some of the presets in Compressor in the "Quality" tab.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 9, 2013 at 5:12:36 am

You haven't said which picture size are you streaming.
If you are exporting 1920x1080 or 1280x720 stuff at 512Kbps it can't look well..
If you are exporting something like 640x364, should look pretty good.
For 1280x720, you should allow between 3000/5000Kbps.
Whatever you are trying to export, make sure that your set "KEY FRAMES: AUTO", and process MULTIPASS.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 9, 2013 at 7:31:25 am

Man, that is very useful! Here I am beating myself up that the thing doesn't look good at less than 1000 kbps!

I am exporting in both 640x360 so they have a low bandwidth option, AND 1280x720 in case they want something and larger on the screen.

I can't really tell the difference between 1000kbps and 1500 but I think that I'll go with 1500 just in case.

I have to pay for this data, and in a perfect world, I will have millions of people watching! I guess at that point, a little data transfer cost won't bother me at all.

Regardless, I feel better knowing that I didn't screw up royally. Its just odd because on the video that I did with a higher quality setting, 1280x720 actually looks fine at 512 kbps... it's just the lower camera quality setting that has become the problem.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 9, 2013 at 9:23:14 am

[Travis Roesler] "I have to pay for this data, and in a perfect world, I will have millions of people watching! I guess at that point, a little data transfer cost won't bother me at all. "
Then you could try Vimeo PLUS or something similar.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 9, 2013 at 2:33:22 pm

You can beat yourself up trying to pick a data rate, but if you are using some flavor of h264, just set the quality slider to around 70-80% and you'll be good. Even just with single pass, and even just exporting straight from the timeline with QT conversion, especially if you have a progressive sequence. If its interlaced, you'll need compressor to deinterlace. FCP has a deinterlace option on export but it doesn't do anything. But, even if interlaced, if you export at half the normal height, it'll deinterlace itself.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 9, 2013 at 3:50:15 pm

The reason that I was choosing a data rate is because I don't want to burden a crappy internet speed and then end up having to refund someones money. I like numbers, because if you abide by them sometimes, you can't go wrong.

I don't know what interlace and deinterlace means. Is there any way that you could explain that for me?

Thank for your time.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 9, 2013 at 6:37:23 pm

[Travis Roesler] "I don't know what interlace and deinterlace means."

Desktop/streamed, disk-based, non-broadcast video wants to be "progressive". That means the image is one single raster-frame of pixels that starts at one corner; some methods at the top, some at the bottom, and is continuously, contiguously mapped serially, row by column.

Interlace is a broadcast strategy that was implemented at the dawn of television to cope with the very low bandwidth allocation per channel. Each 29.97 fps "frame" is split into two "fields", and the "lines" that make up each field are both physically and temporally separate -- they are scanned into a home receiver to re-create the whole image; but they are separate entities, and this accounts for any number of motion artifacts.

"De-interlacing" is the process of converting an interlaced format to a progressive format. It is not necessarily completely straightforward. Screw up anything, like the dominance and you are done.toast.hooped.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 9, 2013 at 6:45:34 pm

Very interesting... When i export, do i have to select anything specifically to make this possible or is it automatically the way it should be.

Are you suggesting that i should be using the format from old school TV? Forgive my retardation.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 10, 2013 at 1:54:07 am

The first you need is to know if you are shooting Interlaced or Progressive.
If you are shooting progressive, you don't have to care about deinterlacing.
You said " it's just the lower camera quality setting that has become the problem".
Is possible that that camera is shooting Interlaced.
If so, without proper deinterlacing, that footage won't look well on computer screens.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]