FORUMS: list search recent posts

question about media manager and workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
irene litapop
question about media manager and workflow
on Jan 8, 2013 at 8:43:28 pm

I am close to finishing a long, feature-length project with a lot of media.

I recently had to travel with my entire nearly-completed project, to work with my composer. My original project media sprawls across 6 hard drives, so for travel I used media manager to create a new project with new media (with handles) from my almost picture-locked timeline - this fits easily on a single 1TB drive.

Now I just want to make sure that media manager is creating identical clips to my original media files... rather than recompressing in any way... At this point it's much more convenient to continue working in this new, smaller project (and when I do color correction and other final stuff, I'll also want my project media to be portable). But before I make any more changes in the new timeline, I want to make sure there's no quality loss or compression introduced by media manager. Can anyone help clarify this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: question about media manager and workflow
on Jan 8, 2013 at 11:14:33 pm

[irene litapop] " Can anyone help clarify this?"

Use "copy" and not recompress and you will be cloning your media, even if you choose not to copy the entire master clip... that is: only the selected source I/O trims plus handles. It simply truncates the original Quicktimes.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: question about media manager and workflow
on Jan 13, 2013 at 6:50:47 am

yes if you use copy, it's a copy.

but i would NOT have truncated the clips in any way.
now you can not link back to your original media if you have to, and you may find you have to.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]