FORUMS: list search recent posts

compression for websites

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Valens
compression for websites
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:10:00 am

I am working in FCP 7 on a series of short videos that will be shown on a number of different internet sites simultaneously every two weeks.   They are each roughly 5-6 minutes long - the original Pro Res movs are between 5 and 6.5 GB each. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to make the videos available to the different websites that will be posting them?   Someone else is coordinating all the sites, but I'm not sure if the best way would be to put them up on YouTube or Vimeo and give out the links, or via some other way.  And what would be best in terms of compressing them for YouTube?  The method that seems to give the best results on my computer here is an Apple Compressor "Trailer" setting (Apple 16:9 1080p Stereo) which gives very good quality results on my computer, but the files are in the 250 MB range.  Will this be a problem in terms of people viewing the videos (on older, slower computers for example)? I understand that YouTube re-compresses them, so don't know if this really is an issue or not. I have assumed that I should give them the best quality I can. Other options include an Apple You Tube Sharing setting (not quite as good quality on my computer here, a bit smaller file size) and a Vimeo HD 720p setting (about half the size, again not quite as good quality).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

- Tom Valens
Tamalpais Productions
Forest Knolls, CA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: compression for websites
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:14:59 am

Hi Tom,
If you scroll this page down, or you use the SEARCH window, you will find tons of post on this very matter.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 8, 2013 at 8:38:34 pm

Go for VIMEO, way better compression.
In Compressor: Apply the Quicktime 7/Download/LAN Presetting and adjust:

Put the bandwitdth of the video to 5000kb/s, better multi-pass encoding, sound to 160kbs, and set the frame size to 100% (when your source material was 1080p).

In my experience that is the best settings.

Have a look here, it was encoded like that:

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Tom Valens
on Jan 9, 2013 at 1:03:23 am

Thanks for the information Sascha. I'll try your settings on a test. Your video, by the way, looks GREAT - congratulations. I love the way it was filmed and edited - very creative.

- Tom Valens

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:51:15 am

Thanx for the flowers. I wrote it last time very hasty, so now in detail again:

Drop the Movie into Compressor, apply the preset "H.264 LAN", you can find under Web->Download-> QT 7 compatible.

Then change following parameters:

- In the Encoder Tab: Video:
+Data Rate restrict to 5000kbits/sec
+Check the box "Best Quality (Multi Pass), even though when you are short on time the faster encode is way faster and the Q difference not so big, unless there is very fast movement e.g.

- In the Encoder Tab: Audio:
+ set the Audio to 160 kbps and if the sound Q is very important to 224kbps

- in the Geometry Tab: Set the Frame size to 100% (if your video was 1080p, it enables a 1080 playback on YT). The video I posted before was encoded at 100%.

Hope it helps.

Have a great day.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]