FORUMS: list search recent posts

Show shot 24fps - 29.97 delivery

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie deRooy
Show shot 24fps - 29.97 delivery
on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:30:58 pm

Hey All,

I'm digitizing footage now, to start cutting a television series in the next week or two that we have shot at 24fps and will be delivering eventually at 29.97. The plan now is to cut everything at 24FPS and do the conversion when we get to the point of making the final deliverable.

I was wanting to put this up, to see if there is a different workflow that some of you may recommend, or if there's any common technical difficulties anyone has had with doing a bigger gig like this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Show shot 24fps - 29.97 delivery
on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:38:54 pm

How are you going to deliver the show? On tape? If so...this is easy peasy. Many IO cards output 23.98 as 29.97. Digital file? A bit trickier.

NOTE!! 23.98 is a non-drop frame format only. And all show times will reflect drop frame timings, so you need to figure out what the show time needs to be at Non-drop...as the timing will be different. In NDF, no frames are dropped to keep the clock time accurate.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jamie deRooy
on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:48:04 pm

Deliverables at this point could be either tape OR digital file. I've heard our final time for the shows is 12:30 overall as a final time at 29.97.

I think they're leaning towards Digital File delivery right now actually.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 7, 2013 at 10:38:29 pm

23.98 to 29.97 digital file is tricky. For tape, I'd output via my AJA Kona 3 or AJA IoXT and that would convert 23.98 to 29.97 easy. Adds the proper pulldown and everything. But to do this digitally? That's tricky. If you need to deliver ProRes or DNxHD...you can rent an AJA KiPro and output to that. Oh, if you have the AJA Kona or IoXT. or take it to a post facility to do that for you. They might output to tape and then capture the tape.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jamie deRooy
on Jan 7, 2013 at 11:28:50 pm

hmm. I can't remember exactly the delivery specs, but know that they were NOT Prores or DNxHD. I'll find that out tomorrow and let you know.

I have an AJA ioHD attached to my system. At some point, I may be sending the file out-of-house to get closed captioned. In that case, I wonder if it's best to give them the 23.98 Master Quicktime and have them do any conversions from there.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 8, 2013 at 11:11:49 pm

[Jamie deRooy] " I may be sending the file out-of-house to get closed captioned. In that case, I wonder if it's best to give them the 23.98 Master Quicktime and have them do any conversions from there."

Closed captioning (708) only works at 2997 so the conversion will have to be done... and if the outsource is doing all the transcriptions and time-stamping, then they might be just as happy with the 23.98 master so they can get it right for themselves. It is not something that Final Cut can do on its own.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Jamie deRooy
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:28:46 pm

Found out today, we're going to be delivering Quicktime masters, XDCAM. I'll look into seeing if the production house making the closed captioning for these files can take 23.98.

If this is the case, I'm going to have to see if they can retain all audio information as well, as I'll be making the Master Quicktimes with full mix on ch1+ch2 with the music and effects on ch3+ch4.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]