FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to zoom into an image that is already within an image ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernest Breliere
How to zoom into an image that is already within an image ?
on Jan 7, 2013 at 2:26:51 pm

Hello !

I have a specific question, the keywords of which have led me nowhere so far on the net or the cow, therefore I solicitate your help dear creative fellows. I'd like to know whether it is possible to create the following effect in FCP or the FC studio suit :

First I'd like to create a Picture in the picture effect, which I know I can do, but then I'd like to zoom into the small image so that it replaces the large one on the canvas, and so on a bit like a fractal except that each time the small film is a different one.

I know it's been done in some commercials and music videos but I don't have any example in mind to show you what I mean, but I guess you can picture it ?

Thanks !
Ernesto

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How to zoom into an image that is already within an image ?
on Jan 7, 2013 at 2:35:08 pm

Yes, this is quite easily done in the FCP timeline or using Apple Motion. It's just using the "scale" control in the inspector panel in Motion, or in FCP7, the scale control under the Motion tab.

You will want the original size footage in the smaller box. Trying to upscale a smaller, low-resolution image up will quickly degrade the image.

If you want a true "zooming" effect, the main image needs to also be zoomed, only not as fast as the new one coming in. Use the keyframe controls in that scale window to set how this works.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:21:51 pm

...and to add to what Mark wrote, you have to understand that there aren't any really great-looking ways to scale up a layer past 100%. If that's what you intend to do to fill the screen, your image will take a hit in quality.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ernest Breliere
on Jan 7, 2013 at 4:53:24 pm

Thank you Mark, Dave, I'll apply your method and tips. I suppose then, in order not to loose too much image quality and avoid trimming, that I should try as much as possible to zoom into the center of the screen/large image, and not to corners ? It might limit me quite a bit.

I will use a glidetrack for a real zoom in and so try to save as much quality loss as possible on edit. Besides, since I'll be using long macro lenses, the natural blur as we move in might do the trick just fine.

Yet, if I want to zoom in off the center of the large image into the smaller one, which would be say a third of the total screen width to the left from the center of the large image, we'd then see the large image moving to the right and reveal the black background of the canvas. If I take it into account whilst shooting and grade the large image's black parts to the same black as the background, it might do, but would you happen to have a trick for that part ?

Thanks again
Ernesto

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 7, 2013 at 5:30:13 pm

Are these physical still prints you're talking about? If so, I'd scan them at relatively high DPI and then you can scale, crop, rotate and otherwise play with them all within the editing app. Way easier.

Return to posts index

Ernest Breliere
on Jan 7, 2013 at 7:52:30 pm

Hm that's astucious... I have to do it with videos though, but I could perhaps find a way around it by using the stills they'll shoot live (they're doing both photo and video shoot at once) and a bit of compositing.

I'll think about it overnight...
Cheers !
Ernesto

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:41:57 pm

If you are scanning keep in mind that FCP7 doesn't recommend using images over 4000x4000 pixels(DPI doesn't matter).

You can import files that are larger but like H264 they will cause more problems than they solve.

Presuming you are not shooting 4K the video shouldn't be over 1920x1080.
In my experience I can scale 1280x720 and higher images/video a great deal before I have similar image loss to when I scale a SD image over 115%.

If the shooter knows you how tight you need an image shot and the quality of the image is decent to begin with you should have very few if any problems.

Return to posts index

Ernest Breliere
on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:30:38 pm

OK great thanks Brad. Yes it will be very subtle anyway and I'll work around it with the edit and make sure that the light work takes the viewer's attention away from the rough parts (it will be moving on the models's skin).

Anyway thanks again guys you've been very helpful, I might post again during the edit :) and I hope I'll be allowed to show you the final result.

Best
Ernesto

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:15:52 pm

Have a look at this clip I did years ago.
I think, it is the Effect you are talking about:

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Ernest Breliere
on Jan 9, 2013 at 1:46:22 pm

Hi,
Yes Sasha it is similar to what you have at the start of your clip.
Have you proceeded the way that has been described above by Mark Suszko ?

Looks like a fun shooting too ! Is he singing in hebrew ? If so Israƫl looks pretty cool from that perspective ;)

Best
Ernesto

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 9, 2013 at 1:59:52 pm

Hi Ernesto,

just to clarify: I only edited this clip, did off & online for it. The singer is a commercial rapper - not my style of lyrics or music. As a true Hip Hop Fan I despise this kind of music. It was only work and doesn't represent good Israeli music culture in any way.
And there is a lot of good stuff out there. Check this clip, but make sure, you glue down your furniture first - it's so groovy, stuff will start moving ;-)

For your other Q - if I remember right, I did this in After Effects, since you have much more sophisticated masking tools than in FCP.
But basically, same principle: The stuff you see in the TV is scaled down, the living room is real size.
When I did the zooming in, I added motion blur to sell the shot.
I also added some Gaussian Blur on the TV image so it fits the out of focus of the rest of the things in the same distance.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Ernest Breliere
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:13:47 pm

Nice one dude I knew these guys already, didn't know that track nor that they were from Israel. Living in Paris I hear a lot about this place and the cultural scene sounds awesome, I hope a little trip will come up soon !

Thanks for edit tips and all the best with your projects.
Ernesto

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:18:59 pm

Contact me when you ever plan to come!
Good luck with your project!

Actually, in November 2013 I will perform in Paris.
Maybe we meet then.

If you have any further questions, just write.
All the best!

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Ernest Breliere
on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:29:57 am

Nice one Sasha that would be awesome, a guide to down town Tel Aviv night life. The November gig sounds good too, keep me posted !

Best
Ernesto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]