FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shot at 23.976, Edited at 60, Needs to conform at 23.976

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Lamarre-Ledoux
Shot at 23.976, Edited at 60, Needs to conform at 23.976
on Jan 6, 2013 at 12:39:45 am

Hi,

I shot a short film on the RED SCARLET at 4k 23.976fps. The editor did all the edits in FCP7 on a 60fps timebase. Now I need to make an XML so that I can bring the sequence to a colorist. I need to finish at 23.976 and the colorist works in Resolve 9. Is there a way to match the edit frame for frame? It's a dance film and it needs to sync perfectly to the music. Also, just to add to the pain, the edit is really fast with a lot of flash frames.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Shot at 23.976, Edited at 60, Needs to conform at 23.976
on Jan 6, 2013 at 2:01:13 am

Your editor painted you into a corner. The only way to get back to a 23.98 sequence is to copy and paste all the clips from the wrong sequence into a correct one (make a new sequence, cut a clip into that sequence and when FCP asks "do you want this sequence to match the clip, click YES..something your editor failed to do)...when you do that the sequence will inherit lots of small one-frame gaps periodically between clips. These gaps will have to be fixed manually.

Sorry, with all those flash frames, yeah, this will be a painful fix. There is no one or two step solution. Copy...paste...fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix fix. Get the editor to do this...free, as they screwed up in the first place.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 6, 2013 at 9:59:47 am

As Shane say, is that probably the worst mistake you can get on FC.
What I would do is to open a new sequence (23,98fps), and in the wrong sequence, go clip by clip, copy the duration the clip, then "Match Frame" (with the play head on the first frame of each clip), and paste the duration. Then drag to the new sequence.
That way each clip will have the same IN/OUt and duration. You will get rid of the interpolated frames only.
rafael
http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jan 6, 2013 at 6:32:56 pm

Yeah, if it was easy, everybody'd be doing it... LOL. Shane and Rafael are right for sure here.

Gotta say, the days of having to conform a setting to source footage then making a huge mistake in the process are indeed fading though. FCP X, Avid, and Adobe are all working at this problem, and at least trying to make it less common.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Simon Lamarre-Ledoux
on Jan 6, 2013 at 6:58:58 pm

Thank you all.

We already started doing just that. Or almost...

We copied and pasted the whole thing onto a proper sequence. FCP did leave a bunch of black holes all over the place, but overall, the sync seems to be kept with the music. We are starting to adjust each shot manually.

Of course, some of the intended flash frames have gone lost for they were probably interpolated frames that completely disapeared when in a 24p timeline.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]