FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitle project: FCP X interchange with Vegas 11

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Liu
Subtitle project: FCP X interchange with Vegas 11
on Jan 4, 2013 at 9:40:18 am

Hello all,

I'm sending 17 minutes of interview footage overseas to be sub-titled in German (FCP X or iMovie), then bringing it back onto my machine (Vegas 11) for editing, and just wondering what the most effective workflow is.

My ideal vision of how this works would be I upload a low-res interview file, which is an edit of the interview answers...overseas they import the file straight into their timeline, format/place subtitles white on a black background on the lower third of the screen, export the subtitle track, which I would bring back into Vegas and lay over top of my interview timeline.

Would this work easily? If so, would the exported video file from FCP X have to be uncompressed, straight alpha matte?

I'm not so clear on how exactly the alpha mattes work. I'd appreciate it if someone could provide me with a brief understanding of it as it applies to this situation.

Thanks, everyone, in advance..

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Subtitle project: FCP X interchange with Vegas 11
on Jan 6, 2013 at 6:26:23 pm

Your idea of sending them a low res file is good, but there's no way for them to export a file to you other than to export a QT movie which you'll have to conform.

I'd send them a window burn for sure.. then you'll at least have those numbers.

They can export XML files for you, but they won't contain the subtitles. BUt they would contain the timecode if you match your source's TC and reel to the file you send them etc...

Probably just as easy to conform from a QT movie they create and send back if they're using FCP X or iMovie.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]