FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjusting speed gives stutter playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Schaap
Adjusting speed gives stutter playback
on Jan 3, 2013 at 7:18:11 pm

Hi,

I'm working with ProRes 1920x1080 25P footage and i notice the following problem:
when adjusting the speed of a clip the playback is always stuttering. No matter how much speed i adjust (even 5% + or 5% - makes the video already not smooth anymore)
I already tried the following:
- frameblending (on of off, no difference)
- different machine (even made an whole new system with fresh fcp install to be sure)

Please only suplly feedback that is functional,
suggestions as go to AVID, of buy Twixtor is not a solution.

I think i miss something somewhere, because 5% isn't that much right?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Adjusting speed gives stutter playback
on Jan 3, 2013 at 10:49:56 pm

Hi Chris

This is actually something that comes up quite a lot and seems so simple that it cant be that hard right ? Unfortunately the combination of progressive footage, FCP to slo-mo and viewing on a computer monitor is a bit of a nightmare scenario for getting smooth slo-mo. I totally realise thats not going to help you much but might help for next time.

Do you have any other software ? AE for example or are you limited to what you have ? Progressive footage will always look poor when slo-mo is applied. This is why people tend to shoot at higher frame rates for slo-mo shots and then use Cinema tools to reconform as the results are totally smooth. As you have discovered regardless of the settings you use FCP pretty much does a poor job especially in progressive. I don't think you are going to find a solution just using FCP alone.
The other problem you may well be experiencing is that viewing on a computer monitor is not ideal when it comes to slo-mo. (Its also the reason people think interlaced looks so poor) Computer graphics cards and screens do not display this type of video correctly. You need to get a monitoring solution to be able to make proper judgements. Where is your footage going to end up ? Web, TV, DVD ?
You say Avid is not a solution and I understand you cant just dash out and buy it to do a few slo-mo shots, but there is a fully functional 30 day trial. You could perhaps use that to create your slo-mo files and export them as ProRes QT's. ?

Sorry nothing real instant fix there maybe others have some "tricks" that can help.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Chris Schaap
on Jan 4, 2013 at 7:53:38 am

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response, i do have AE and Motion so i could try to to de slo-mo of that particular shot in the software. I've read about people who did there slo-mo's in motion. That could be a workaround. All our footage is Progressive, when we need really slo-mo's we always shot at higher frame rates, i do not use cinema tools then, but just convert it to ProRes with Clipwrap and that looks stunning.
But just sometimes i need to adjust the speed of a clip or panning, just a little bit to let it just because it's fits better in the edit. That's why i preferred not to go out of FCP, but i was already prepared for the need of it :(
90% of our work ends on YouTube/Vimeo (which by the way always ends up darker then the version we've uploaded, but thats another question)
I do not have a broadcast monitor yet, because of that, but it's on the "all i want for 2013 list :)"

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:16:45 pm

Hi Chris

Oh OK so both Motion and AE can help you out here. I had a quick play with a few shots from a 5DMKII yesterday. I didn't have any shots that were moving really quickly so perhaps the shots were fairly sympathetic to being slowed down. The time warp function in AE did a slightly better job but takes way longer to render than Motion. Both offer more blending options than FCP so its worth experimenting a little. In my quick and dirty test neither were really "buttery smooth" but a big improvement over FCP alone. So it would be worth having a go at those for sure. Also to be fair I was only looking at my laptop monitor so again not ideal viewing conditions.

If most of your stuff ends up on the web then a full broadcast monitoring set-up is probably a bit over-kill. If your Mac supports Thunderbolt then a really good budget solution is to use a Blackmagic Ultra Studio Monitor Mini ($145) and hook it up via HDMI to a decent TV. It has drivers for FCP, AE, Avid etc so is a really cheap way of getting proper video monitoring. (it has both SDI and HDMI out both with embedded audio)
So maybe that makes it more likely to reach your "all I want for 2013" list.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]