FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 won't render (not the usual problem)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Slatter
FCP 7 won't render (not the usual problem)
on Jan 3, 2013 at 9:32:40 am

Hi guys

Firstly, thanks for taking a moment to read what seems to be an extremely common subject. I have a twist on the usual problems though...

I shoot a lot of seminars and presentations and turn them around for online use. I do it regularly, it's a bish bash bosh edit that usually take 5 mins. HOWEVER, I've upgraded to Mountain Lion and since then I've had no end of problems, specifically, my renders are taking forever and often I'm getting the famous "General Error". Now I know it's not the usual culprits of a full cache, preferences, mismatched frame rates, RGB colour space on stills etc etc etc. I've tried all that before I bothered you kind folks. I'm in a real pickle here as I have a 45 minute video that needs to go online and I can't get it out of FCP!

Can anybody shed a glimmer of light on what they think the solution, or even just the cause, might be?

Thanks so much

Phil

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP 7 won't render (not the usual problem)
on Jan 3, 2013 at 10:47:28 am

Don't render or don't export?
If you are trying to render your sequence, you may need to use Alt-R instead of Cmd-R.
If you are trying to export and you are unable, you must be getting some warning.
Anyway, if you have updated your system, you should try some system maintenance to make it work.
At least, repair permisions and better, run DiskWarrior.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Phil Slatter
on Jan 3, 2013 at 10:54:29 am

Thanks for the prompt response Rafael

It doesn't render or export. I get the same general error. I assume that as it's exporting, it's rendering it and coming up with the same problem. It's also taking ages to render, like 45 minutes, even though the only thing it actually need to render are the presentation stills, which are done in the same way as I've always done them. I guess I'll have to do the maintenance. I only upgraded to ML so I could get red giant pluraleyes 3. What a mistake that's been!
It also does annoyingly quirky things like not import a file when I drag it in, but then will import it if I use file import. Or visa versa. Or sometimes it will simply work on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Really quite frustrating as before I had not problems what so ever.
Is it possible to downgrade back to Lion? Apple certainly isn't making it obvios how to...?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 3, 2013 at 11:16:29 am

Phil,
Most problems that we get on FC are not FC related. If the system is not optimized, applications can't run well, and after a perfect installing the system is a mess, because MacOsX is unable to optimize him self.
rafael

Return to posts index

Phil Slatter
on Jan 3, 2013 at 11:29:56 am

Thank you Rafael
I have encountered a few other problems since the ML update too, with other software. It's just that now I am mid flow on a few projects I would rather not mess around with the system too much. Ideally, I'd get rid of ML, reinstall Lion and go back to how I was a few months ago, though I suspect it's not as simple as that.
Could you direct me to any articles you know of that would help me complete a fresh system clean up?
Thanks so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 3, 2013 at 11:56:37 am

Phil,
Since 2005, whenever I make a full install (from scratches, erased HD, step by step and repairing permissions after each piece of software is installed), and when everything (System with his updates + QT + FCS) before opening any application, I launch DiskWarrior.
Year after year I find that, after installation, always at least a 30% of the directories are "out of order".
Its had happens to me in one occasion that after such a installation i couldn't even launch FC.
please don't think that I have any stake on the company that produce it, but I can't stop advocating for that application. Is just that is the piece of software that has allowed me to survive on a place where there is not any kind of service for a mac user. The only piece of software that I recommend for any Mac user whatever hi use his computer for.
rafael

Return to posts index

Phil Slatter
on Jan 3, 2013 at 11:58:27 am

Great, thanks for all your fast responses and advice Rafael.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 3, 2013 at 12:08:56 pm

Check that your stills pixel size doesn't exceed 4k in any direction. Also try rendering sections to see if it is one still that is causing grief.

I have to say that moving to ML and upgrading OS will break FCP eventually, especially if it isn't a clean install rather than OS update which has always been a problem for FCP.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jan 3, 2013 at 1:27:15 pm

The only thing I didn't see mentioned here is what type of media are you using? If its h.264 / .mp4 of any type, that wold cause the issues you're describing.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jan 3, 2013 at 6:56:18 pm

[Phil Slatter] "n them around for online use. I do it regularly, it's a bish bash bosh edit that usually take 5 mins. HOWEVER, I've upgraded to Mountain Lion and since then I've had no end of problems, specifically, my renders are taking forever and often I'm getting the famous "General Error"."

Lack of 'clean install', would be my guess.
http://s290368705.onlinehome.us/2011/12/01/the-clean-install-conundrum-%E2%...

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]