FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setup Project with Correct Format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Westra
Setup Project with Correct Format
on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:30:44 am

I am using Final Cut Express, and I have source material that is H.264, 640x480, and 29.97fps (and .mov extension). I don't know what format to use in Easy Setup or if I have to convert the files to something else first. As of now, the files will work, but they are not the same dimensions as the sequence when I put them in the timeline. None of the formats in Easy Setup seem to match up with the source video that I have.

Also, once I get everything set up right, edited, and then ready to be exported, what would you recommend for export settings? This part always trips me up, and even though I come out with a finished product, I don't really know how it worked, or if I could have done something differently.

Thanks,

Ryan

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Setup Project with Correct Format
on Jan 2, 2013 at 9:38:38 pm

I've never used Final Cut Express but as far as I understand it is just like FCP. If that is the case you can't edit H.264 files. They are clunky in FCP and will slow everything down. You need to Log and Transfer the files. In FCP you need to install a free plug-in available on Cannon's site. Not sure if this help.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Ryan Westra
on Jan 3, 2013 at 10:03:56 pm

Stephen, it seems that the H.264 files work, but they don't work well with FC is what you're saying? I couldn't figure anything out with Log and Transfer because nothing would ever show up when I opened the Log and Transfer window. The files come from a Canon Powershot ELPH 520 HS, and I just plug in the micro SD card via a USB adapter thing. Maybe I missed something, but the only files I saw on the card were .mov/H.264 files.

I ended up just using the files and changed the setup format to DV-NTSC, which was at least the right dimensions. What effect does changing the setup format have on the process? Like, what is the difference between choosing DV-NTSC and DV-NTSC 32 kHz? I guess I just don't understand much about codecs and what all that stuff means...

Quality isn't a big deal anyways, since all I'm doing is helping my sister edit a video for her high school German class...

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 3, 2013 at 11:18:41 pm

[Ryan]
Stephen, it seems that the H.264 files work, but they don't work well with FC is what you're saying?

Yes.

As I mentioned I have never used FCE and did some pocking around. Looks like plug-ins have not been created to convert the footage in the Log and Transfer window. However, there is still a free solution. Check out MPEG Streamclip. It will convert your clips to ProRes 422 or whatever codec you want to work with. Check it out here: http://www.squared5.com/

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]