FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP6 on new 2012 iMac - dropped frames!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Burns
FCP6 on new 2012 iMac - dropped frames!
on Dec 30, 2012 at 11:36:31 pm

Hi. I am looking for some help here! I have recently acquired a new 2012 27" iMac and have transferred my hard drive from an older imac using Migration assistant. I was delighted to see that my Final Cut Studio 2 software migrated successfully and seems to be working fine.

I continued work on a project started on my older mac but am now having a lot of dropped frames during playback in the browser and timeline. The clips that were in the timeline prior to transferring from the old mac play without any problem. All my video clips are stored on an external drive (connected by USB 2).
I have tried adjusting the RT settings but this only makes minor improvement.

Can anyone offer some help or advice?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP6 on new 2012 iMac - dropped frames!
on Dec 31, 2012 at 12:42:45 am

So many potential problems. Clean installs are always recommended for FCP. I know that is now more difficult with FCP6 but a search of this forum will show that there is a technique of installing Rosetta first. So your problem may be migrating or USB drives which depending on frame rate, codec etc may be the culprit. It may also be graphics card/ plugins related, the need to trash prefs & repair permissions.

This sort of issue is going to happen as people update hardware, are forced into later OS and eventually FCP will become unworkable on newer systems.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 31, 2012 at 1:08:10 am

I agree with Michael on all counts. Migration Assistant does not take into account many of those aspects of the newer OS and higher version of QT that a fresh install would.

So, FCP essentially thinks its operating under your older OS and your older version of QT, but it's receiving an instruction set from two completely different pieces of software. FCP will never operate as expected like this because it's simply confused.

And, USB 2 simply does not have the sustained throughput necessary for video editing.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Martin Burns
on Dec 31, 2012 at 10:51:24 am

Thanks for this! Does this mean that if I want to remain with Apple in terms of video editing software, i am forced to make the jump to FCPX?
I know USB 2 is not the best choice for editing but never really had any probs on my previous mac so i just continued with it.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 31, 2012 at 1:40:54 am

Use a faster connection to your external drives, FW800 and a 7200 RPM drive minimum. Even if it was working on your old system, USB 2 really isn't a good choice for editing.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 31, 2012 at 3:01:16 am

[Martin Burns] " All my video clips are stored on an external drive (connected by USB 2)."
As David say, USB has never been a choice for FC. Not even in the old DV times.

About the drop frames, uncheck the "Warn next time".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]