FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor won't allow send to from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catherine Tosko
Compressor won't allow send to from FCP
on Dec 30, 2012 at 10:52:33 am

I am using FCP to export a DV PAL compressed timeline of 1 hour which is 40GB big. Every time I try and use Send To I am met with a beep like an error beep. Compressor has worked fine for the last year and I am confused. I know the obvious thing would be re-install but I don't have it on disk any more. Is it a memory thing? I have 90GB of free space. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Compressor won't allow send to from FCP
on Dec 30, 2012 at 11:40:32 am

[Catherine Tosko] "I am using FCP to export a DV PAL compressed timeline of 1 hour which is 40GB big. "
A 1hour PAL/DV should be around 12/13 GBs.

[Catherine Tosko] " Every time I try and use Send To I am met with a beep like an error beep."
Those problems when sending to Compressor normally are related with problems on Apple Qmaster.
The best option is trying to reinstall it, but if don't have the discs that's difficult.
You can always export a self-contained movie from FC and import it to Compressor. The process will be even faster.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Catherine Tosko
on Dec 31, 2012 at 12:24:29 am

The reason it's so big is that it has cutaways of HD footage and random other clips - it's a documentary. I should probably use media manager first, but yes, OK, seems like that is the best plan to do the ref movie - thanks! Seems like the beep is a memory issue then?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 30, 2012 at 11:56:37 am

I would avoid using send to compressor in general. Instead export self-contained with current settings and bring that file into compressor. Although many people advise against unchecking "self-contained" to export a reference movie, I never had a problem. But I only used reference movies as one-time-use-only files specifically for immediately opening in compressor to compress. I liked it because its a fast export and small file size. I really miss my reference movies now that FCPX and I are exclusive. :(

Return to posts index

Catherine Tosko
on Dec 31, 2012 at 12:22:29 am

Yeah I am avoiding X right now! OK I will give it a go, seems like a plan to use a reference movie and try it out - although it should be a 0/1/yes/no situation on a computer I find this is still a creative process and therefore experimentation can work better than what "they" say. Thanks! Any idea though why the send to has stopped working? I am worried even if I won't use this workflow as it's peculiar.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 31, 2012 at 12:45:38 am

Digital Rebellions helpful Prefs managmenet tools include Compressor prefs trashing. This may be the problem. Making a self contained (not reference) file is still a better option as COmpresor can work in the background and you don't tie up FCP.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 31, 2012 at 12:55:59 am

[Michael Gissing] " Making a self contained (not reference) file is still a better option as Compressor can work in the background and you don't tie up FCP."

That reminds me, I should mention that in my good experiences with REF's, I always closed FCP while Compressor is working. But I didn't think that using the REF in Compressor tied up FCP at all, I closed it for Matrox driver issues. Using an exported Reference movie in another App does not tie up FCP, does it?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 31, 2012 at 1:39:02 am

Send to ties up FCP. Self contained versus reference is another matter. There have been lots of posts over the years about peoples systems spending ages looking for deleted reference bits.

With a self contained no such problems.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 31, 2012 at 2:06:47 am

Yeah, I guess it was just your phrasing that made me think you meant that using a reference movie in compressor also tied up FCP (which I was SURE was not true). I see now that you were referring to "send to".

It is because of all those people having problems with Reference movies that I made sure to treat them as "throw away" files, always exported with "REF" added to the end of the name so it can easily be found in a smart folder for deleting. Great for quickly exporting a long video, so long as you don't expect to keep the REF around for future use.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 31, 2012 at 2:50:35 am

[Catherine Tosko] "it has cutaways of HD footage and random other clips "
Then absolutely avoid touch the DV codec.
Render/process/export to a better one.
Prores is always the best option.
rafael

Return to posts index

Catherine Tosko
on Dec 31, 2012 at 4:08:45 pm

Unfortunately the finished product cannot be in prores as it will not be accepted to my vendor so I stuck with the original format and now have gone for H264 on second thoughts - seems better anyway.

Return to posts index

Catherine Tosko
on Dec 31, 2012 at 4:06:28 pm

OK thanks - I will give trashing prefs a try, didn't try that yet!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 31, 2012 at 5:12:23 pm

[Catherine Tosko] "I have 90GB of free space"

Not related to your problem but you will need more space very soon. Always maintain a minimum 20% free space.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 1, 2013 at 3:55:50 am

[Catherine Tosko] "Unfortunately the finished product cannot be in prores as it will not be accepted to my vendor so I stuck with the original format and now have gone for H264 on second thoughts - seems better anyway."
I don't mean to deliver a Prores file, but to put out Prores from FC, then compress that to H264.
Things will be better and faster.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]