FORUMS: list search recent posts

Breathing corpse problem: how to freeze just one side of a frame, while the other side keeps playing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Howard
Breathing corpse problem: how to freeze just one side of a frame, while the other side keeps playing?
on Dec 29, 2012 at 2:50:02 am

I'm editing a short in which an actor plays dead. Obviously, the actor sometimes had to breathe; and obviously I can't show a breathing corpse. Unfortunately, there's a take I'd like to use where he's perceptibly breathing. It's a static (tripod) shot in which the dead body is lying on the right side of the frame, while the non-corpse actors are talking on the left side.

How might I achieve the appearance that the body isn't breathing? There are moments where he doesn't breathe for a couple of seconds. Could I freeze or loop just one side of the frame? If so, how? (E.g. some combo of freeze frame and overlay...?) Or, would that look way more distracting than a breathing corpse? Any other solutions within FCP 7?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Breathing corpse problem: how to freeze just one side of a frame, while the other side keeps playing?
on Dec 29, 2012 at 3:07:08 am

Duplicate the picture on a new layer (video track), and use the "8 points Garbage Matte" (Effects > Matte) to isolate the corpse.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Scott Howard
Re: Breathing corpse problem: how to freeze just one side of a frame, while the other side keeps playing?
on Dec 29, 2012 at 3:31:44 am

Thanks, I'll try to figure that out.

Before I do, any idea whether using that effect to freeze part of a frame would look weird and draw attention to itself?

This is shot on DLSR indoors so there's no moving light to consider (or much graininess).

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 29, 2012 at 6:41:33 am

A soft edge on the top layer will help hide the "seam" between the two. If the camera moves at all you will have a tough time making this work, but if it's locked-off it might be easy.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 29, 2012 at 1:20:21 pm

As David say, make the edge soft.You can try as well to go to the matted portion with a dissolve.
You say that the camera is static, so with all that and with some action on other area of the frame, may work well.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Scott Howard
on Dec 30, 2012 at 2:17:16 am

Thanks folks. I appreciate it. Time to go suffocate an actor.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 30, 2012 at 2:36:46 am

That'll work too. Much more realistic. ;)

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 31, 2012 at 7:33:50 am

looping a section of the film, or really running it fwd, then backward, then fwd again,
is much better than a freeze.
the frame maintains a breath of life... not in the corpse, but in the grain etc

nick

Return to posts index

Scott Howard
on Dec 31, 2012 at 5:25:00 pm

Good idea re: the loop. I used a simple Four-Point Garbage Matte on one of the shots I needed, and it looks good even as a freeze frame. Breathing begone!

Unfortunately, when I turned to the shot where it's most needed, and there's a problem--another actor keeps getting in the way of the corpse I need to freeze (or loop). So, I need the matte to change shape during the same take.

I don't have After Effects or Motion. Rather than key the hell out of it to make the matte travel around, I'm wondering if I can just razor the same clip in a few places and have a differently-shaped hole every few seconds. Would that look weird? How would I deal with this in FCP 7?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 31, 2012 at 10:39:08 pm

simplest approach, IMO, is to use a THIRD layer to deal with the fg actor.
you'll need to move up from a 4-point garbage matte to 8 or even 16,
and keyframe it as the actor crosses.

if the body is motionless enough during the crosses, then you are right, you wont need super accurate mattes.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]