FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client Wants Multiple Frames of people saying lines in sync.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
Client Wants Multiple Frames of people saying lines in sync.
on Dec 27, 2012 at 11:26:25 pm

I assume that some of you have been requested to do this before so I'd appreciate any advice. A client has employees all over the globe and wants them to do a Skype, or I suppose it can just be a captured video, saying something that is THE EXACT SAME LINE as everyone else, then wants them to be in their own box (ala Brady Bunch) but may want up to 40 frames. Almost like a mosaic.

I will instruct them to look at the camera for 5 seconds before and after delivering their line, add a smile at the end. I will send out instructions as to framing, background,etc and may send out a 10 second example of me doing it so they know the pacing. I believe the line is just five words.

My question is: If the client wants a LOT of people simultaneously on screen do you know of any templates? Any advice? Is there any appreciable difference between having them do a Skype session vs just doing a video and sending it? I realize with Skype we can "direct" them a bit.

Many thanks,

Ned

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Client Wants Multiple Frames of people saying lines in sync.
on Dec 28, 2012 at 3:19:56 am

Can't help with the templates. I foresee lighting and audio problems. I do urge you to have them all perform to a pre-made sample audio track, so they all have close to the same rhythm and pace. Each should do more than just the short line, they should have some "handles" on either side of their take.

As to lighting: the Skype users will be close to their monitors and probably NOT looking directly into the webcam. You will likely have backlighting probe, screen reflections on glasses, funky color temps on faces due to screen colors, and weird lighting due to most light coming off the screen. For audio, those wearing a headset will sound right, the rest will be far off-mic.

The real camera users will have better resolution, but lord knows what they will have for audio, likely the on-camera shotgun, and a roulette wheel of lighting and framing choices. I don't envy the post tasks you have. It sounds like it will look cool, but behind the scenes, this is a bear to put together with good sound and color grading, your template is the least of the problems, I think.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 28, 2012 at 11:14:16 am

There's also the issue of trying to work with 40 tracks of video stacked up. You could build it in several sections with just a few of the clips each, then export each section and bring the new files back in to put it all together.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 28, 2012 at 2:50:56 pm

Happy Holidays Ned. There are no templates that I know of. Depending on how many faces you want to see on the screen at a time, resize your clip and place on video layer. Copy and paste attributes then move the clip over. Repeat till you fill your screen.

There is a video tutorial on how to do this.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 28, 2012 at 3:52:05 pm

Here's another concern: everyone has a different speaking rate and everyone uses different inflections. They need a reference they can listen to and parrot back. Without one, the line -- presumably intended to be understood -- will sound like mush.

Ideally, they could play back a recording, hear it in their ear, get it right and then give you a few good takes.

The Boss may think this is a cool idea, but it's going to take a good deal of coordination to give you a fighting chance to get a composite that will work.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Dec 28, 2012 at 5:50:46 pm

For the audio, does it matter that the voice is actual sound from the 40 people on screen. I would record myself and some others in the office saying the line several times to get good timing and audio. If possible have a group say the line together. Does not have to be 40 people in the group, maybe 5 or 10. After recording multiply the track, offset by a few frames, filter creatively and voila, 40ish people. I believe the group method might be simpler because you can hear the words together live as well as having the group adjust the tempo according to your needs.

Good Luck,

Victor
editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Dec 28, 2012 at 6:01:13 pm

Thanks Victor, that's what I plan to do. And thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated.
Ned

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 28, 2012 at 6:09:41 pm

That's a good point: with 40 people, who's watching lip-sync?

But I would STILL send along an audio file to them to emulate.

As a copywriter, I'm sensitive to the different ways people can say the same word. For example, take the simple phrase, "thank you".
When you get a burger as a fast food joint, you say "thank you" one way. When someone tosses you the keys to a brand-new Ferrari and says it's yours, you say "thank you" a much different way: you draw it out and (presumably) say it more enthusiastically. Same phrase, two totally different timings.

Thus, having a reference audio file that people can emulate is a good idea.

Especially if The Boss wants everyone to say something like, "We're your number one source for hydraulic propulsion solutions!" or something equally arcane and wordy.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Dec 28, 2012 at 6:59:50 pm

Dave makes a very good point here with "a few good takes." I would ask for at least three. Also, be sure to send a sample audio file. New Yorkers speak faster than mid-westerners. Hopefully a sample clip will get everyone on a similar tempo.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 28, 2012 at 7:04:07 pm

And I would build this in Motion or AE rather than FCP7

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 28, 2012 at 11:08:18 pm

good idea about the pre-record.

if you do want to chase good sync from the on-scren performs,
i would suggest making up a small LOOP.
it has the LINE, then a gap, slightly longer than the line. the actor repeats the line here,
then the LINE again, than a gap, then the LINE again and a gap.

so as the look plays, the actor hears , then repeats the line 3 times or however many times you have the line in the loop.

i have done this, re-recording dialogue on naturalistic locations.
as your people are not repeating a line they had said themselves, i would make more then 3 passes in the loop.

nick

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Dec 29, 2012 at 7:24:58 am

This is definitely more in the realm of motion design and fx work than editing. This would be so much easier to do in After Effects in terms of getting 40 squares on screen. You could do really cool things like have a 3D camera swooping around the squares at a dynamic angle and then pull back to reveal all the squares at once for a climactic finish.

I also think you are going to have to do an extraordinary amount of work to make these people look good. 99% of people don't know what lighting looks good or how to frame themselves properly. They can have a reference image right next to them, but I bet most will not be able to replicate it well. They are busy, probably don't want to do this, and are not visually literate people. My point is that your creative director or whoever should be firmly aware this could very well turn into a nightmare, and it will not instantly look very good without a lot of the budget going into repairative work and some of the videos might be unusable.

I work as a motion designer and do some editing. I've been to a few rodeos and these user generated videos are always a hard drive full of s#it. People are trying to save a buck by not hiring professionals to shoot testimonals or sound bites, but then spend an inordinate amount of money in post just to make the footage digestible. It is a mistake in my opinion to work this way. They just need to hire a camera guy or gal to go down to the company and replicate the look of web cam footage, but provide you with a clean and clear, well exposed video.

Good luck. I'm not really complaining because I get more work or hours with user generated footage, but I fully recognize it's usually not the best work practice.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]